Friday 24 April 2009

More flexing

This morning I was doing some more work on custom XMP File Info panel. I added some fields from the IPTC Photo Metadata 2008 Standard. The specification is a bit strange for a couple of fields though. For both "LocationCreated" and "LocationShown" the specification gives an XMP Value Type of "Bag LocationDetails".

The first thing strange about this is the field being a bag (array). You would think this would just be a single text field, though I suppose it is possible that something could be made in multiple locations, or show multiple locations. However, in this case you would also think that fields like "City" would also be bags, and they're not - just plain text.

The other strange thing is most of the entries that are arrays have XMP Value Types like "Bag Text", i.e. It's an unsorted array that contains text items. However the "LocationCreated" and "LocationShown" fields have an XMP Value Type of "Bag LocationDetails". Also some of the other fields have a strange second value like that. I tried adding xmpType="LocationDetails" to the elements, but when I compiled the panel it gave an error that it wasn't a valid type.

The XMP File Info SDK API notes only lists the following as valid XMPTypes:
  • Text
  • Integer
  • Real
  • Boolean
  • Date
  • Localized


I joined up the IPTC XMP Yahoo group so I could ask about this, but I need to wait for a Moderator to approve my membership before I can post.

In the afternoon I carried on working on my custom XMP File Info panel, but got stuck. So in the evening I posted a question on the sitepoint forums about it, hoping there will be more people with Flex/AS3 experience there than at the web squeeze.

I watched an episode of The Equalizer and checked dpreview, the web squeeze and Andy Rouse's blog.

The weather today was hazy sunshine most of the day, then clouded over about 5pm.

Food
Breakfast: Strawberry jam toast sandwich; cup o' tea.
Lunch: Ham with iceberg lettuce sandwich; 2x small clementines; Aldi or Lidl Twix substitute; cup o' tea.
Dinner: Breaded Fish portion; peas; mashed potato; ground black pepper; ground white pepper; salt; peas. Pudding was Peach yoghurt and a slice of rich fruit cake. Coffee; Kitkat Chunky.

No comments: