Friday 3 April 2009

Trying to take photos of flies

I got up quite late today, after 9am. I checked my email and did a little work on my website, then it was lunch time.

After lunch I played on Animal Crossing, then I went in the garden for a bit. I did a little bit more work on my website, then went in the garden again as the sun had now come out. There were a couple of flies on the variegated Holly, but when I came back outside with my camera, they were gone. I did a little bit more work on my website, and then checked my email again.

I had previously emailed Colchester Camera Repair Service, who are listed as dealing with canon repairs and parts on canon's website, to see if I could get a spare of the ring used to mount the Canon Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX flash heads to the end of the lens. They had replied to me saying
Unfortunately you would need to contact Canon for the part you require as we cannot obtain them


So I contacted Canon through the support form on their website, and they emailed me back to say
I can give you the number of our sales department who may be able to help you. I will also give you the number of one of our repair centres who deal with spare parts and you may be able to purchase one from them.

Our sales department contact number is 0800 121 6341
Our repair centre dealing with spare parts contact number is 01206 843322


The second telephone number they gave is the Colchester Camera Repair Service, so I didn't bother contacting them, since they had already said they couldn't get that part. I phoned up the Canon Sales Department, but they said they only sell items available on Canon's website, not spare parts. They gave me the telephone number for Canon Spare Parts/Repair, 01483 776060.

So I phoned Canon Spare Parts/Repair, but they said they only deal with business equipment like photocopiers, and I should phone Lehmanns on 01782 413611. I didn't bother phoning Lehmanns because 1) If Colchester Camera Repair Service can't get the spare part themselves, I wouldn't have thought Lehmanns could get it either, and 2) I was only curious about whether the part was available and if so, how much it cost.

Probably about 4pm I went in the garden to try and take some photos of flies. Although I stayed out there until about 6pm, I'll be lucky if I got one decent photo. I found the flies liked licking the new leaves that are sprouting on the Goat Willow/Great Sallow bush, but quite often when I grabbed on to the twig they were on, they would fly off.

If I managed to grab the branch they were on without them flying off, quite often by the time I'd find where the fly was in the viewfinder, the fly wasn't there anymore and had flown off. If I did get a co-operative fly, it was still hard to get any shots as they were constantly walking round, and since they would walk to the other side of the bud rather than just walk in a straight line, it meant you would have to let go of the branch then grab it again from a different angle, or else just get a bum shot.

I did find a dung fly who didn't mind me constantly re-grabbing the branch it was on as it moved out of view, and it even walked off the branch onto my hand. Unfortunately I don't really like insects crawling on me, though it was weird because I could see it walking on and licking (yuck!) my hand, but couldn't really feel it.




After dinner I watched Simpsons with Mac and Ben, then I went in the garden to see if I could find any flies that had settled down for the night. I didn't see any, though I did see a bug, so I went back inside and got my camera, but then when I went back in the garden it was gone.

I sorted the photos I took today, did a bit more website stuff, then played on Rez for the PS2 for a bit, which totally vibrated my hands.

The weather today was overcast all morning, then nice and sunny in the afternoon.

Food
Breakfast: Pink grapefruit toast sandwich; cup o' tea.
Lunch: Mature cheddar cheese sandwich; apple; chocolate digestive bar; cup o' tea; a couple of pieces of Cadbury's Dairy Milk Turkish.
Dinner: 2x Salmon & (I got a Mill out the) Dill (and I'm still on the grind) fishcakes; potato; peas; Tomato Ketchup. Pudding was microwave sponge with strawberry jam & custard. Coffee; Sainsbury's caramel chocolate.

No comments: