Friday 8 January 2010

Adding metadata still

This morning I was mainly adding metadata to the same images I've been working on for the last week or so. I also helped Clare move the big table back into the garage, and take the smaller table out of the garage back into the kitchen.

While I was looking for information on Sheep (I needed to add a description/caption to a photo of a sheep), I came across this page, which lists various UK varieties of sheep.

I did finally finish adding metadata to my 33 images today. It's taken about a week to process them, and then a week to add metadata to them.

I took 3 versions of one the images I'd processed, and the original, and after getting them ready for the web, posted them to the Flickr critique group to try and get some feedback on them.

Also in the evening, I watched Mauser play a game on Xbox live called something like 'the one'. Basically, it's like who wants to be a millionaire, except the person is playing against 'the mob', which is a panel of 100 people. When anyone in 'the mob' gets a question wrong, they are knocked out. If 'the one' gets a question wrong, then they are eliminated, and all their points are distributed to the remaining members of 'the mob'.

Also like WWTBAM, 'the one' can choose to stop playing, and take their winnings.

Also, everyone in the audience can play (over 10,000 people), you get points for each question you get right, and bonus points depending on how fast you get the question right. If you're in the audience, your points aren't actually worth anything (other than being able to boast how many points you have), but I presume that the more points you have, the more likely you are to be chosen to be in 'the mob' or to be 'the one'.

Those in 'the mob' or 'the one' get to win Xbox points, which I think you can redeem for downloadable games etc.

I have seen a few things lately, where people mentioned that they use the ProPhoto RGB colorspace. I wondered why this was, and if it was actually any better than Adobe RGB, so I did some searching and found this thread over at photo.net: sRGB - AdobeRGB - ProPhoto RGB.

To quote Peter Werner's post there:
However, lately I've begun to question the wisdom of that. Basically, I could see the wisdom of capturing in ProPhoto, or some other super-wide gamut if you have the capability to do so ヨ this will give you a "digital negative" that you can use to make images when future monitor and printing technologies that aren't around today (actually, this is what Camera Raw is for, really). However, for printing or web publishing in the here and now, ProPhoto is a way bigger color space then one could possibly use ヨ to the best of my knowledge, even really good printers are only capable of rendering in Adobe RGB as their widest gamut. (Correct me if I'm wrong on this.)

The downside as I see it of working with ProPhoto is that you're inevitably going to have to downsample at some point. If you do so at the very end, there's a high likelihood that in you have all kinds of out-of-gamut colors. In fact, you might have even increased the number as you worked on the image color in ProPhoto. Neither the Colorimetric or Perceptual rendering intents that exist now to downsample to a smaller color space are perfect, and may have very real problems if a lot of your color is out of gamut, resulting in banding or like artifacts. On the other hand, if you start with or switch to the color space you're going to output in early in your workflow, you will only be shifting colors within the bounds of what you can actually print. Now, I'm not sure if having a wider gamut gives you some advantage with color correcting or otherwise rendering color even knowing you're going to downsample later.
So I think I'll stick with Adobe RGB for the moment.

The weather today started off a bit cloudy, about 9am the sun broke through a gap in the large grey cloud, looking very nice. It snowed a bit (very lightly), then the clouds blew away, and it was quite cloudless most of the day (including at sunset, which was very similar to yesterday, with a bald sky). About 4.30pm (about half an hour after sunset) some clouds started to roll in, then in the evening it snowed lightly a couple of times.

Food
Breakfast: Bowl of Maple & Pecan Crunch Oat Cereal; Cup o' Tea.
Lunch: Arran Mustard ham with ½ a sliced Vine Tomato Sandwich; Small Banana; Clementine; Lemon Slice; Chocolate Waver Bar; Cup o' Tea; 2x Cherry Liqueurs.
Dinner: Battered Fish Portion; Baked Beans; Mashed Potato; Ground Black Pepper. Pudding was 2x Home-made Mince Pies. 2x Coffees; Cherry Liqueur; Piece of Sainsbury's Mint Creme Chocolate.
Supper: Milk Chocolate Coated Crinkle Crunch; Cup o' Tea.

No comments: