Monday 11 January 2010

Today I was vectoring a picture of Pogman slamming some pogs, and also trying to get my Ubuntu Virtual Machine set up more like the web server my websites are actually hosted on.

After getting an nginx front end and nginx back end installed, I found that the front end wasn't proxying to the back end properly, so I posted on the nginx forum (mailing list) to see if I could get some advice on what I was doing wrong (I copied the syntax from the default file for proxying to an apache backend).

While I was waiting for a reply on that I thought I might as well install PHP. To make the setup similar to how the webserver was set up, this meant I also had to install MySQL. I did have some trouble installing MySQL compared to when I installed it on the webserver. When running mysql_install_db, I had to pass it the my.cnf file I wanted it to use as a parameter, otherwise it would use the one in /etc/mysql, which obviously wasn't what I wanted.

I didn't have to do this when installing mysql on the web server. Also, on the webserver I could access my installation of mysql by just typing mysql at the command terminal. In my Ubuntu Virtual Machine, I had to also pass the path of the socket that mysql was listening on as a parameter, otherwise I would connect to the normal Ubuntu mysql installation.

On the webserver, WebFaction had made me a 'PHP Stack' running on Apache, so when I installed nginx and PHP, I just copied the configure line from the 'PHP Stack' version of PHP, which kept most of the php configure options pointing to directories in the 'PHP Stack'.

But on my Ubuntu virtual machine, I didn't have a 'PHP Stack' with all the accompanying libraries installed. So I had try and get the libraries needed for PHP to build, so I spent most of the day downloading the libraries needed and installing them. While I was waiting for them to configure, make, and make install, I worked on doing a vector of pogman slamming some pogs.

When building the libraries required for an install of PHP similar to what I had installed on the webserver, I configured them all with the defaults except I changed them to install in a folder in my home directory so they would be easy to find.

Hmm... I did have loads of other stuff written here about building PHP from source and all the various errors I came across, but it seems that Blogger didn't actually save the post when it said that it had. ANNOYING

The weather was overcast all day and also it snowed a bit.

Food
Breakfast: Bowl of Chocolate Crunch Oat Cereal; Cup o' Tea.
Lunch: Bowl of Minestrone Fake Cup a Soup; Slice of Toast; Pear; Piece of Dried Mango; Cup o' Tea.
Dinner:

No comments: