Saturday 23 January 2010

Not much

This morning I decided to try and investigate why my website wasn't sending output to the browser as the page was being processed (so the page can be loaded incrementally as the server processes it, rather than the server processing the complete page and then sending it off to the browser).

It seemed that this was due to fastcgi buffering, I did some googling and found this thread, which said
> Is there no such option just because nobody implemented it? Or is it
> because of some kind of technical constraint?
Yes. It's because of FastCGI protocol internals. It splits "stream" into blocks max 32KB each. Each block has header info (how many bytes it contains, etc). So nginx can't send content to the client until it get the whole block from upstream.


So, not being sure about how the Fast CGI buffering works, and whether it is possible to flush the buffer to the browser from PHP when using Fast CGI, I posted to the Nginx forum/mailing list to see if anyone could advise me.

After lunch I did some more work on my website, testing some uploads, including a grayscale (Dot Gain 20%) image. It uploaded and converted to sRGB okay. Strangely, when viewing the original image in Firefox, it wasn't colour managed (the dark tones got much darker), so it seems that maybe Firefox only colour manages Adobe RGB images.

I was getting ready to upload the changes to the web server, but then I remembered that I also needed to change the way the image license is recorded - at the moment I just have whether the image is available on a royalty free or rights managed licensed, but I also need to have whether an image is licensable for commercial purposes or editorial use.

To record this, I need to modify my Adobe XMP File Info panel so that I can add the necessary metadata to the images. But since I've re-installed Windows Vista, I've lost the Flex SDK and software that was needed to compile the panel. So I did some searching and found a beta of Flash Builder 4, which replaces Flex Builder 3. Previously I wasn't using Flex Builder, but hand coding and ant to compile.

It seemed like a license for Flex/Flash Builder was available for free if you already owned a Adobe Creative Suite product. But on the info page, it said that you needed to send Adobe a copy of the receipt for your Adobe Creative Suite product that you bought from an authorised Adobe reseller.

Using the Adobe website to find what authorised Adobe resellers there are in the UK, it told me that it couldn't find any!

In the evening I installed PerfectDisk and started doing a defrag of my C: While I waited for that I took some photos of Pog stuff in some boxes that I've had in my room for quite a while waiting for me to take photos of them.

After taking photos of all the Pog stuff, the defrag was still going, so I watched part of the first episode of Star Trek TNG with Mauser and L.

The weather was overcast all day.

Food
Breakfast: Bowl of Choco Moons Cereal; Cup o' Tea.
Lunch: Mature Cheddar Cheese with Salad Sandwich made with Fresh Bread-Maker-made Bread; Crust of Fresh Bread-Maker-made Bread with Strawberry Jam; ½ a slice of Fresh Bread-Maker-made Bread with Strawberry Jam; Clementine; 2x Jaffa Cakes; Cup o' Tea; 3x Pieces of Sainsbury's Truffle Chocolate.
Dinner: 2x Delee Posh Sausages; Mashed Potato; Spaghetti Hoops. Pudding was some Banana with Butterscotch Whip and Chocolate Sauce. Coffee; Dark Chocolate Digestive.

No comments: