Thursday 21 January 2010

Processing photos

This morning I carried on processing my photos of Ludlow from the third day of our Shropshire Holiday back in July.

I decided to check the GPS co-ordinates had been correctly added to an image I'd just finished processing, and annoyingly they weren't, they were somewhere else. I checked various other images to try and find at what point the GPS co-ordinates had gone awry, but after checking about 10 images, which all had correct GPS co-ordinates, I got up to the problem image I'd just processed.

So it seemed that just this one image (out of the ones I'd processed so far) had got the wrong GPS co-ordinates. But weirdly, when I checked the NEFs that the image had been built from, th NEFs had the correct GPS co-ordinates. So it was like Photoshop had somehow done something to mess up the GPS co-ordinates (I would guess they were about 20 miles out).

Now I had to try and get the correct GPS co-ordinates into the jpg and psd files. Adobe Bridge doesn't have anywhere to let you update GPS co-ordinates, so I couldn't use that. RoboGeo doesn't work with psd files, so I couldn't use that. I couldn't use 'copy from file' with exiftoolGUI as that just allows you to import the whole XMP block, and I didn't want to overwrite the existing XMP.

So I decided to use exiftool with -tagsFromFile, though that wasn't that easy. First I had to make a list of all the GPS tags to be copied, which I got from the exiftool website, but then I had to format them for use with exiftool. After that I had trouble with it saying that it couldn't find the file I wanted to update. So I was messing about with the carets ^ for a while trying to get it working, which I did eventually.

This was the final command (for exiftool on windows):
exiftool.pl -tagsfromfile ^
^"E:\path\to\file-to-be-copied-from.NEF^" ^
-GPS:GPSVersionID ^
-GPS:GPSLatitudeRef ^
-GPS:GPSLatitude ^
-GPS:GPSLongitudeRef ^
-GPS:GPSLongitude ^
-GPS:GPSAltitudeRef ^
-GPS:GPSAltitude ^
-GPS:GPSTimeStamp ^
-GPS:GPSSatellites ^
-GPS:GPSStatus ^
-GPS:GPSMeasureMode ^
-GPS:GPSDOP ^
-GPS:GPSSpeedRef ^
-GPS:GPSSpeed ^
-GPS:GPSTrackRef ^
-GPS:GPSTrack ^
-GPS:GPSImgDirectionRef ^
-GPS:GPSImgDirection ^
-GPS:GPSMapDatum ^
-GPS:GPSDestLatitudeRef ^
-GPS:GPSDestLatitude ^
-GPS:GPSDestLongitudeRef ^
-GPS:GPSDestLongitude ^
-GPS:GPSDestBearingRef ^
-GPS:GPSDestBearing ^
-GPS:GPSDestDistanceRef ^
-GPS:GPSDestDistance ^
-GPS:GPSProcessingMethod ^
-GPS:GPSAreaInformation ^
-GPS:GPSDateStamp ^
-GPS:GPSDifferential ^
^
-xmp-exif:GPSAltitude ^
-xmp-exif:GPSAltitudeRef ^
-xmp-exif:GPSAreaInformation ^
-xmp-exif:GPSDestBearing ^
-xmp-exif:GPSDestBearingRef ^
-xmp-exif:GPSDestDistance ^
-xmp-exif:GPSDestDistanceRef ^
-xmp-exif:GPSDestLatitude ^
-xmp-exif:GPSDestLongitude ^
-xmp-exif:GPSDifferential ^
-xmp-exif:GPSDOP ^
-xmp-exif:GPSImgDirection ^
-xmp-exif:GPSImgDirectionRef ^
-xmp-exif:GPSLatitude ^
-xmp-exif:GPSLongitude ^
-xmp-exif:GPSMapDatum ^
-xmp-exif:GPSMeasureMode ^
-xmp-exif:GPSProcessingMethod ^
-xmp-exif:GPSSatellites ^
-xmp-exif:GPSSpeed ^
-xmp-exif:GPSSpeedRef ^
-xmp-exif:GPSStatus ^
-xmp-exif:GPSDateTime ^
-xmp-exif:GPSTrack ^
-xmp-exif:GPSTrackRef ^
-xmp-exif:GPSVersionID ^
^
^"E:\path\to\file-to-be-updated.psd^"
Note that lines that start with a caret ^ have a space before the caret, while lines that end with a caret have no space after it.

In the afternoon and evening I was still processing the images, but finally managed to get them finished in the evening.

In the evening I also watched an episode of Power Rangers with L and part of the Mysterians with L and Mauser. I went on the pinternet a bit and did a backup.

The weather today was overcast most of the day, but was also sunny for a while in the afternoon.

Food
Breakfast: Bowl of Pecan Crunch Oat Cereal; Cup o' Tea.
Lunch: Bowl of Minestrone fake cup a soup; Slice of Toast; Ibuprofen; Banana; Mint KitKat; Cup o' Tea.
Dinner: Meatballs; Spaghetti; Tomato Bolognese sauce stuff; Green Beans; Ground Black Pepper. Pudding was a Chocolate Eclair. Coffee; 2x Pieces of Sainsbury's Truffle Chocolate; 2x Pieces of Sainsbury's Caramel Chocolate.
Supper: Shortbread finger; Dark Chocolate Digestive; Cup o' Tea.

No comments: