Tuesday 16 February 2010

Not much

This morning I installed the latest IE 6 and 7 VHDs, then uploaded a chicken photo to various photo sharing websites.

After that I wrote a blog post for my photo website about Brown Clee Hill.

After lunch I checked my email and TWS, then did some testing with exiftool to try and find why some of my images had 2 XMP blocks, which is what was causing the problem with extracting the rating on certain images.

I found that the duplicate XMP only seemed to occur when I embedded XMP into a NEF file using exiftool, then saved a JPEG from that NEF file using Capture NX, and didn't make any changes to the file in Capture NX. Because I do some post processing to nearly all my images, this explains why problem with the rating being reported as 0 only occurred infrequently.

I also did a quick test of extracting the MacroMagnification for a couple of images taken with the MP-E65 lens, but it seemed that exiftool always reported the magnification as 1.2x, so I took some test shots and sent them off to Phil Harvey along with my findings about the duplicate XMP in some of my images.

I sorted through my inbox as I had quite a few emails from the last few weeks that I'd only had a quick look at, and hadn't had time to read properly.

After dinner I watched a couple of episodes of Power Rangers with L. After that I did a bit of work on my photo website.

First I tried to fix a problem where the selected image size wasn't updating (if you were viewing a small image, then clicked 'medium', the medium size image would load, but 'small' would still be highlighted. It turned out to be quite a simple fix - I was updating the class names of the 'small' and 'medium' buttons wrongly.

Next I wanted to upgrade Wordpress, but when I tried to log in to the wordpress installation on the local copy of my site, I got redirected to the wordpress installation on the live copy of my site. So I spent a while trying to debug this, then eventually looked in the mysql database for the wordpress installation, and found it had the blog address as the url of the blog on the live site, rather than the local site url. So I changed that, then I could log into my local installation okay.

I also made a backup of the databases from the web server, and started downloading all the images that I'd uploaded to it so I have a complete backup of my site. Unfortunately, whenever I'm uploading or downloading anything, it seems to mess up the internet (and my mouse, I have to switch to a pen tablet), so there wasn't much I could do while waiting for the downloads to finish.

Eventually the downloads did finish, at about 22.30. I did a backup, then went to bed.

Food
Breakfast: Orange Marmalade Toast Sandwich; Cup o' Tea.
Lunch: Bowl of Chicken & Vegetable flavour fake Cup a Soup; Slice of Toast; Banana; Rocky; Cup o' tea.
Afternoon snack: Choc Chip Cookie; Shortbread Finger; Cup o' Tea.
Dinner: 1½ Spicy Chicken Fajitas; Rice; Salad. Pudding was 2x Pancakes with Lemon Juice and Sugar. Coffee.

No comments: