Friday 19 February 2010

Websiting

This morning when I got up it was still snowing quite a bit, but there wasn't any more snow on the ground than there was yesterday evening.

After breakfast I went out in the garden with L and we rolled a snowball to the bird table so I could put some food out for the birds. We rolled the snowball a bit more, then L accidentally kicked the pot of mealworms over, so the blackbirds had a nice food supply all day.

I did some work on my photo website, I found the slideshow was stopping after a few images. Debugging this, I found the problem was that the characters like & had been encoded to entities like &. This is needed when writing HTML, but not when using javascript.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like there's a native javascript function for decoding HTML entities (most results on google seemed to involve adding the text to a textarea element, and then reading back the textarea's value). So I just changed my code to decode the HTML entities on the server side before the data got sent back to the browser/javascript.

The rest of the morning and afternoon I was working on getting the Amazon Machine Tags plugin working on my photo website blog, and signing up with the various country specific Amazon affiliate schemes.

I received the latest edition of Layers Magazine (which I get through a digital subscription with Zinio), and it had this strange advert in it. The advert was just saying that the 'little tree' car air freshner design is a registered trademark, and so you can't use it without permission from the company that makes them. Maybe there are lots of freelance designers using the tree design car air freshner in their work or sumat?

In the evening I watched a couple of episodes of Power Rangers with L, and also 2 Yoshi Electron videos about Oskillators. They were quite funny because
  • He calls oscillators oskillators
  • He kept putting wires in one hole in the breadboard, then taking it out again and putting it in a different hole
  • A lot of the time he would have his hand in front of the camera so you couldn't see what he was doing
  • Since I don't know anything about electronics I had no idea what he was on about


The weather was a mixture of cloud and sun. It also snowed quite hard for about half an hour in the afternoon.

Food
Breakfast: Orange Marmalade Toast Sandwich; Cup o' Tea.
Lunch: Ham with Sliced Cherry Tomatoes and Crunchy Salad Sandwich; Apple; Unripe Pear; French Fancy; Cup o' tea.
Dinner: Potato; Peas; Breaded Fish Portion; Ground Black Pepper; Salt; Tartar Sauce. Pudding was a piece of Tiramisu. Coffee; Piece of Sainsbury's Truffle Chocolate; Piece of Sainsbury's Caramel Chocolate; 3x pieces of Sainsbury's Mint Creme Chocolate.
Supper: 3x Wafer Biscuits; Cup o' Tea.

No comments: