Tuesday 16 March 2010

Metadataring and processing a few photos

Yesterday evening I uploaded about 20 photos to a folder on the web server for my batch processing script to process and add them to the photo website. I had to leave my PC on overnight while the photos uploaded, but they were done by this morning. So I updated the site config on the web server to avoid the script timing out, restarted nginx on the web server, and then ran my PHP batch process script.

However, I got a 504 timeout and it seemed the script had died partway through updating the database, so the main records for the image were in the database, but none of the associated records to do with things like category, keywords, location etc. And the image which the script was processing where it died hadn't been processed either (as the image processing is done after adding the details to the database).

So I had to manually add the resized images and database records (which took quite a while) for the half done image.

When that was looking okay, I posted to the nginx mailing list to see if I could get some advice on what had gone wrong.

After that I copied my Korea and Japan photos to my new hard-drive, so I can work on them on that drive, then delete them from the other hard drive when I know the images haven't been corrupted during the copy process.

The rest of the morning and afternoon I worked on adding metadata to some images of people doing a farmers' dance in Korea. In the afternoon I also went in the garden for a bit and saw:
  • A large frog with a smaller frog on its back (presume the smaller one was a male, and they were mating)
  • Ladybird
  • Bee
  • Midges
  • A fly
So it seems Spring is on the way.

In the evening I finished watching 'This Island Earth' with Mauser and L, then processed a few of the farmers' dance photos. I watched some skill french cartoons with Mauser and L, and did a backup. I checked the Canon Lens forum on dpreview, then went to bed and left the backup running as it looked like it was going to be quite a while and I was sleepy.

The weather was overcast most of the morning, then nice and sunny in the afternoon. The sun set behind some hazy cloud that gradually got thicker as the sun got nearer the horizon, so there wasn't much of a sunset.

Food
Breakfast: Bowl of Maple & Pecan Crunch Oat Cereal; Cup o' Tea.
Lunch: Peppered Ham with Salad Sandwich; Cream Cracker with soft French Cheese; Tangerine; Scone with I can believe it's not butter and Strawberry Jam; Home-made Chocolate Caramel centered Muffin; Cup o' Tea.
Dinner: 2x Sausage Rolls; Mashed Potato; Baked Beans. Pudding was Home-made Fruit Salad. Coffee; The rest (7 pieces) of my Aero.

No comments: