Wednesday 3 March 2010

Processing panos

This morning I carried on processing the pano that I was working on yesterday.

In the afternoon I finished processing that pano, then started processing another pano. I had some trouble with Photoshop saying that the file had been corrupted and some of the pixels may be invalid. The exact error message was:
This document has been damaged by a disk error. The most likely causes of this error are: a defective disk drive, a defective disk drive cable, or incorrect peripheral cable termination. Some of the pixels in this document may be invalid. Open anyway?
In the first pano that I was working on, I clicked on 'OK', and found that one layer had parallelogram shaped sections that were tinted yellow. Possibly other layers were affected as well, but this was the only layer showing (most layers were masked out) that had the problem. So I just painted over the problem areas on the masks of the revelant constituent images, to cover up the problem areas.

I thought the problem was just a one-off as AVG was running its weekly virus scan while the file was being saved, but I then had the error message after saving, closing, and opening again the second pano that I was working on today. However, I didn't see any problem areas at all on this pano (at least on the layers that were visible, again, most were masked out).

Googling about this problem, I couldn't find anything useful. Other people getting this error message were either given no response, or a response that said the run chkdsk. Then, when they'd said they'd run chkdsk and there no problems, they would get no further replies.

As far as I can tell then, it seems the problem is not to do with a faulty disk or disk error. I think the problem is that Photoshop is not saving these files correctly. It seems only to occur with large multi layered files. I think maybe the problem could also be related to whether Photoshop has enough RAM to store the whole image in memory before writing it to disk.

In the evening I watched a couple of episodes of The Office (US) with Mauser, then did more work on the pano. I also read the dpreview review of the Ricoh GXR camera with A12 50mm module. The Ricoh GXR has interchangable lens/sensor units, it's an interesting idea, but I think really they've made the price level far too high.

On ebay today the auction for a Canon 400mm/4 IS L lens finished on ebay. It ended at EUR 2,910.00 (Approximately £2,643.51), with Postage EUR 66.00, so a good deal for whoever won the auction. I just have to try and restrain myself from bidding on these lenses, knowing that although they may be bargain prices compared to normal resale prices, I don't actually have any spare time in which I could use them.

The weather was mostly cloudy with a few sunny spells.

Food
Breakfast: Orange Marmalade Toast Sandwich; Cup o' Tea.
Lunch: ½ Beetroot Sandwich; Mature Cheddar Cheese Sandwich; Banana; Clementine; Slice of Genoa Cake; Cup o' Tea.
Dinner: Piece of Shepherd's Pie; Carrots; Broccoli; Sliced Mushroom. Pudding was a creamy yoghurt, a wafer biscuit, and a shortbread finger. Coffee.

No comments: