Thursday 4 December 2008

Watched a film and edited photos

I woke up today at 6am and didn't feel really sleepy so I got up. After breakfast I listened to christmas songs on soma fm while checking my email, luminous landscape and Thom Hogan's site. By 9am I was getting hungry again so I had another breakfast.

I checked hotukdeals and dpreview canon lens forum, then ordered a green cone for £15 with free installation as Rad didn't want to pay for one and I thought it would be a good idea since it can recycle cooked food, bones, meat etc. that you can't put in a normal composter.

Then I checked the part details for the adapter to use the mount the Tripod ring B on the canon 100mm macro lens. I hadn't heard back from Lehmanns after submitting a query via their website a few weeks ago. I checked the internet, and they seem to be about the only place you can order canon spare parts from (though maybe I was using the wrong search terms). I got their telephone number from the canon website list of authorised spare parts places. I phoned them up but they were engaged.

I have a datawrite 8GB CF card that I bought for about £50 or £60 not that long after I got my D200. Unfortunately it seems to corrupt images (NEF files on the D200) sometimes, so I don't use it if I can help it. It comes with a lifetime warranty so I thought I may as well see if I can return it to them and get a replacement rather than just not using it (I've asked for some sandisk 4GB CFs for christmas since I could do with some more memory cards and haven't had any problems with my current sandisk card).

I went in the garage and after a bit of looking found the box with most of my camera stuff boxes in it. The datawrite 8GB CF card box was in there at the top, but no receipt for it. So I looked through all my receipts stored in the drawer in my bedside table, but I think it only had receipts for stuff I'd bought since we moved, I think I must have thrown all my receipts away when we moved. Going through them all took quite a while.

I tried googling, but couldn't find any details on the terms of the warranty for the datawrite 8GB CF card, except that it's a 'lifetime' warranty. Then I took the card inlay out of the datawrite 8GB CF card box to see what it said in terms of the warranty.

I have typed out the warranty below, since it doesn't seem to be anywhere else on the net.

Datawrite Memory card warranty
Datawrite warrants that this memory card will be free from material defects in manufacture and will substantially conform to the published specifications under normal use during the lifetime, subject to the following conditions. This warranty is provided to the original end user purchasing from Datawrite or an authorized reseller, and is not transferable. Proof of purchase may be required. This product must be used in a device that is compliant with the specifications of the CompactFlash Association (www.compactflash.org), SD Card Association (www.sdcard.org), MultiMediaCard Association (www.mmca.org) as applicable; use with any other device voids this warranty. Datawrite is not responsible for for any failure or defect caused by any third party product or component, whether authorized or not. This warranty does not apply to any third party software provided with the product and you are responsible for all service and repair needed for such software. This warranty is void if Datawrite determines that the memory card was damaged as a result of improper installation, misuse, unauthorized repair, modification or accident, or was not used in accordance with the product instructions.

Datawrite will, at its option, repair or replace the product with new or refurbished product of equal or greater capacity and functionality. The warranty duration on any replaced product will be the same as your original product.

Datawrite does not warrant, and shall not be responsible for, any lost data or images contained in any product (including in any returned product), regardless of the cause of the loss. Datawrite's products are not warranted to operate without failure. Datawrite products must not be used in life support systems or other applications where failure could threaten injury or life.

Some capacity used for formatting and file system and is not available for data storage.
Product specification subject to change without notice.

This constitutes Datawrite's entire liability and your exclusive remedy for breach of this warranty. Datawrite disclaims all other express and implied warranties to the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, including but not limited to any implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and noninfringement. If Datawrite cannot lawfully disclaim or exclude implied warranties under applicable law, then to the maximum extent possible, such implied warranties are limited to the duration of the express warranty. In no event shall Datawrite or any affiliated or subsidiary company be liable under any circumstances for any indirect, consequential, incidental or special damages, any financial loss or any lost data or image, even if datawrite has been advised of the possibility of such damage. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights which vary by jurisdiction. Some jurisdictions do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, or do not allow the exclusion or limitation of of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitations or exclusions may not apply to you. In no event will Datawrite's liability exceed the amount paid by you for the product.


www.datawrite.co.uk/memory/


The warranty isn't very useful since it doesn't tell you where to send the card or anything like that if it does fail. I googled for Datawrite corrupted images and found reviews of datawrite memory cards by a couple of other people saying that the card they bought corrupted images when used in their camera, but was fine for transferring information between PCs (as mine is). They didn't say they got a replacement under warranty or anything like that, so I assume that the 'lifetime warranty' isn't really true, and even if it was I would probably need the receipt anyway.

After finding out I wouldn't be able to get the datawrite 8GB CF card fixed or replaced I phoned Lehmanns again, and got through to them. They said the part cost about £20, so quite a bit more than the £12 or so quoted on one of the sites that said they got the part from Lehmanns. I expect they ordered the part a few years ago and inflation has done it's bit on the prices. Anyway, I ordered the part since I don't think you can get it cheaper (or even just get it) elsewhere. They said that since I gave them the partcode, if the part isn't what I want (because I gave them the wrong partcode) then there won't be any refund or anything. I said that would be okay.

I checked my email and hotukdeals again. I went on pigsback.com to order some hmv vouchers so I could buy some stuff off the hmv website, but it seems like they post the vouchers to you rather than emailing them. Hopefully the vouchers can be used online when I get them. Then I checked my 'confirmation of passwords etc.' folder on my email as I wanted to see what the website was that used to send to send me emails with 3 boxes and you choose 1 box and can win something if you choose the correct box (normally just a rubbish prize like a voucher for 10% off at a restaurant or sumat). Writing this just now made me remember what the name is - skoost, so I guess I won't have to look through all my emails to find out.

Anyway, when I was looking through the emails I saw the one for when I joined Commission Junction, so I went on there to see if I'd earned anything, and I actually have £14.08 GBP in commission (though you need £25 and to submit a tax certificate or sumat before you can withdraw any money). I tried to find out where the money had come from, but it was quite hard to find out. Eventually I managed to run a report: Run Reports - Performance Reports » Performance by Advertiser > Range from 1-Jan-2008 to 3-May-2008. This showed £2.13 commission from ebay from 254 clicks, with 10 sales and a Sale Amount of £7.46. So I guess the ebay ad does work, even if I don't actually make much from it. My site has been running about 4 ½ years (based on the date of 18 June 2004 on the commission junction sign up email) at a hosting/domain cost of around £100 per year, so £14.08 isn't much really.

Well, I tried signing up to Skoost again, but they said I'm already registered. So why don't they send me emails any more? I think I only got emails from them for a couple of weeks after I signed up.

After lunch I checked Moose News blog, deviant art (which was really slow) and panoguide. I watched Bittersweet Life, which was good. Then I finished editing the pics that I took on my walk yesterday.

After dinner I watched Lost with Maccy and Ben. Then I checked my email, redbubble and hotukdeals. I also geocoded the photos I took yesterday, and when checking one of them had geocoded properly in google maps I could see that the different footpath I went down was in the wrong corner of the field. I had gone to the corner of the field on my left, when the footpath I should have taken was in the right hand corner of the field.

I started renaming the pics from yesterday's walk, watched IACGMOOH with Mac and then finished renaming the pics and moved them to My Pictures folder. I checked hotukdeals again and then went to bed.

The weather today was rain in the morning, it had been raining most of the night as well (I kept waking up and could hear it). Bit strange (and annoying) for it to rain rather than snow since it must have been 0ยบ in the shade yesterday, and you'd think it would be colder at night and up in the sky where the clouds are. I guess it must have actually got warmer overnight. By about 10.30am it had stopped raining and was actually sunny. Then it was sunny and cloudy for the rest of the day. There wasn't really a sunset as the sun set behind the clouds where you couldn't see it.

Food
Breakfast: Bowl of Frosties; cup o' tea.
2nd Breakfast: Blood orange marmalade toast sandwich; cup o' tea.
Lunch: Ham with mustard and crunchy salad sandwich; ½ sliced beetroot sandwich; clementine; chocolate digestive bar; cup o' tea; Sainsbury's chocolate caramel.
Dinner: 2x home-made lamb burgers; peas; potatoes; mint sauce. Pudding was 2x American style chocolate brownies. Coffee; Sainsbury's chocolate caramel.
Supper: Blood orange marmalade and grapefruit marmalade toast sandwich; cup o' tea.

No comments: