Saturday 7 February 2009

Going on a snowy walk

This morning after breakfast I went in the back garden with Ben and we checked how thick the ice on the pond was. It was probably a couple of cm thick, and then further down in the pond there was another lot of ice, probably about 1.5cm thick.

I did some more work on my website, trying to get some HTML entities to display in my menu. I was using javascript to append them, and it seems you can't write html entities using javascript, and need to use the unicode code for the character you want instead.

Then I found that whilst the characters would display in all my browsers in Vista, and Ubuntu, they weren't displaying on IE6 and IE8, which were on Windows XP virtual machines. I found to get the characters to work on the Windows XP virtual machines I had to wrap them in a span, and make the font-family for the span 'Lucida Sans Unicode' (or any other font that supports the characters I wanted to use).

Deena gets it right

Me and snowmen

Me & Baabara have a push the snowball competition

Ben is rubbish
After lunch I played on Animal for a bit, then me, Ben and Mac went out on a walk.

Mac throwing a snowball at me
We went up the alleyway after the bridge, across the fields to East Farnham, and then back home the same way.

Mac throws a snowball on Ben's head

Mac gets a snowball on his head

Mac kicking a snowball

Ben trying to duck a snowball from Mac

Ben in a snowy field

Ben head

Ben thumbs up

Mac karate chops a snowball on Ben's head

Ben karate chops a snowball on Mac's head

Kicking a snowball

I get a snowball
The snow on the fields near East Farnham was still a few inches deep. We saw what looked like probably hare tracks. On the way back we saw a small bird sitting in the wheat stalks that was quite near us, and didn't seem very bothered by us being there. Unfortunately my camera battery had run out so I couldn't take a photo of it, and even if the battery hadn't run out it probably wouldn't have been a very good photo since I only had my fisheye lens.

When we got home I did a bit more work on my website and sorted/processed the photos I'd taken. I was trying to find out how to get rid of the outline that appears round my checkbox image when you click on it (specifically in IE6, though the outline does appear in other browsers it doesn't look as bad as it does in IE6.

First I read this article: Hiding the Browsers Focus Borders. Should I, Or Shouldn’t I? Then there was a link in the comments on that article to Removing the active/focus borders, which seems a much simpler way of removing the outline. All you do is set a{outline: 0;} to remove the outline from all links.

However, this also removes the outline when you are tabbing with the keyboard, so if you tab to an element with outline: 0; set on it, you won't be able to see what element it is you've selected. This is obviously quite a major issue. I did read that if you set outline: 0; just for a:active pseudo class, then it would remove the outline from clicking on it, but keep it when you tabbed to it. However, this doesn't seem to be correct. I've not been able to find any way where you can remove the outline if the element is clicked, but not if it's tabbed to.

After dinner I played Excite Truck with Mac and Lil' LA. Then after that I processed some of the photos from today.

Food
Breakfast: Bowl of Frosties; cup o' tea.
Lunch: Mature cheddar cheese with salad sandwich made with fresh bread-maker-made bread; honey on slice of fresh bread-maker-made bread; banana; chocolate digestive biscuit bar; ⅔ cup o' mouldy tea (there was an old mouldy tea bag in the tea pot).
Dinner: 2x Delee sausages; mashed potato; baked beans. Pudding was Apple crumble with custard and squirty cream. Coffee; Piece of Sainsbury's caramel chocolate.

No comments: