Wednesday 11 February 2009

Websiting

This morning I did some work on panachallengetest, just finishing off the ticket I was working on yesterday that I thought I'd finished but hadn't. I also checked my email a couple of times and my flash gels that I bought off ebay arrived. A couple of the sheets had some marks on them of different colours, like different coloured sheets had been put next to them and then pressed hard against them with a pencil or something, rubbing the colours from the darker sheet onto the lighter sheet. Weird, but other than that they seem okay, though not really checked anything other than that I have 2 coloured sheets and 8 white sheets.

After lunch I went on Animal for a bit, then I checked the websqueeze and a couple of people had replied to my question about how to get the php mail() function working in Ubuntu.

The answer was to install the PEAR Mail and Mime_Mail classes. It took me quite a while to get it working, but these sites were useful: PEAR Manual - Mail, How to send email with php - tutorial & example, and Sending mixed-type messages with PEAR::Mail Mime. Unfortunately it seems that you can't view your emails as plain text in Hotmail, so I couldn't really test whether the multipart encoding worked okay, but the HTML email text certainly showed okay (though I didn't include any actual HTML).

I also checked the email headers of the email in Hotmail, and it looked like the plain text part should show okay for plain text email readers.

I edited /usr/share/php/Mail/smtp.php and changed the default host to my ISP's smtp address so my email script will hopefully work both locally and on the web server without any modifications.

Then I wanted to upload the file to the web server so I could test it on there. I had already checked on the cpanel that both Mail and Mime_Mail were installed. I googled to see if there was an FTP included with Netbeans, as I thought there would be (there must be actually since it connects to subversion servers okay). I found this article: Netbeans for PHP - FTP support added, however the FTP options don't appear in my copy of Netbeans. I checked for updates, but it was up to date. I checked if there were any FTP plugins I needed to download to get it working, but couldn't see any. So I gave up.

After a few people had recommended it on a thread at the web squeeze lately, I decided to try fireFTP, an FTP plugin for Firefox. I installed it and it worked nicely. The good thing about it being a Firefox plugin is that you don't need to be logged in as an administrator to use it.

I uploaded the file to the web server, but then when I ran it, it didn't work. I think my host has their include_path pointed at the wrong directory, but I posted the error to the web squeeze to get confirmation that that's probably the error before I contact my host.

I read some threads on the web squeeze and checked Luminous Landscape. I started watching some jquery tutorial videos, then it was dinner time.

After dinner I watched Bruce Campbell Vs. The army of Darkness with Mac. It was really good, and reminded me quite a bit of Season 1 of Power Rangers with all the funny monsters. The best bit is when his face gets all stretched, it looks really good.

Then I watched some more jQuery tutorial videos and read some stuff about jQuery as well.

The weather today was a bit sunny in the morning, then overcast the rest of the day. It rained a bit in the afternoon, but there's still some snow left.

Food
Breakfast: Lemon marmalade toast sandwich; cup o' tea.
Lunch: Breaded ham with crunchy salad sandwich; banana; slice of Genoa cake; cup o' tea.
Dinner: Meatballs; spaghetti; sauce stuff; parmesan cheese; ground black pepper. For pudding I just had a fake kitkat (I think it was a dark chocolate one). Coffee.

No comments: