Tuesday 17 February 2009

Websiting

This morning I did some more work on my website and also had a look into whether cameras encode the timezone into the EXIF. It seems there isn't a timezone option in EXIF, and most camera's don't allow setting the timezone anyway.

After lunch I did some more work on my website, then me and Ben put the bird boxes up in the garden and tidied away the Snowtorro pieces that weren't snow (stones, straws and bamboo canes). Ben also jumped on and squashed what was left of the snow part of Snowtorro.

In the afternoon and evening I did some more work on my website. Rakuli had answered one of my questions on the web squeeze about elements overflowing and how to get a footer at the bottom of the page. The answer to the footer question was here: Make the Footer Stick to the Bottom of a Page, though I found I needed to remove the height: auto !important; height: 100%; values as they were breaking it in IE7, and instead just add the height: 100%; for IE6. I also had to change it like .footer, .push {height: 4em; clear:both;} to avoid the push element being floated in IE rather than at the bottom of #wrapper.

Later in the evening I looked into RDFa, I found a good article on it: RDFa, Web Development Standards, & SEO, but it seems it is only compatible with XHMTL, and my site uses HTML4, so I will have to leave that for now.

Then I looked at creating a sitemap. I did quite a bit of googling, and got a bit confused as different sites seem to use different XML Schemas, e.g.
SitemapDoc - Google Sitemap Generator and Editor has
<urlset xmlns="http://www.google.com/schemas/sitemap/0.84" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.google.com/schemas/sitemap/0.84 http://www.google.com/schemas/sitemap/0.84/sitemap.xsd">


xml-sitemaps.com Sitemap Generator has
<urlset xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.sitemaps.org/schemas/sitemap/0.9 http://www.sitemaps.org/schemas/sitemap/0.9/sitemap.xsd">


On the google website it says they have a sitemap generator that you can run on your server, but it needs Python installed. I thought it would be a good idea to run the google sitemap generator and see what the sitemap that that generated looked like. I went on my site's cpanel, it didn't have anything about python or a sitemap, but did a SSH/Shell access item. I went on that and it had a video of how to use it but the buttons for the Java SSH program weren't there.

So I generated an SSH Key, and then googled about how to connect to the server using SSH. I came across this article, which is very helpful: Ubuntu SSH How to. But when I looged into the server it kept rejecting the password that the SSH Key generator in the cPanel had created for me. After a few tries, I tried my normal password, and it accepted the password, but said shell access was disabled for my account.

I went back on the cpanel, and my SSH key was listed, but listed as not activated. So I activated it and tried to log into the server via SSH again, but it still wouldn't accept the SSH password that the cPanel had generated for me.

I checked my webhosts website and support and googled for my webhosts name and 'python' to see if they did have python installed, but couldn't find anything to say they did have python installed, so I presume they don't.

I went back on the google website, and found that actually they have an article on how your XML Sitemap should be structured. Google seem to use
< urlset xmlns="http://www.google.com/schemas/sitemap/0.84">


I will have to see if Yahoo and Microsoft have different suggestions. I am hoping that after generating the sitemap I can also use the same XML file to generate an html sitemap. There's some info on styling XML on the W3C website: How to add style to XML, but I don't think XML will display normally in IE.

I think my pet moth probably died today, it seems pretty dead anyway. I'll probably throw it away tomorrow if it doesn't move at all during the night. It lived quite along time for a moth though I think. Also I got my ballhead from DealExtreme today, seems pretty good, though it was covered in dust (not human skin dust, just wood dust or sumat).

The weather today was overcast all day.

Food
Breakfast: Pink grapefruit marmalade toast sandwich; cup o' tea.
Lunch: 1½ cheese on toasts; 2x clementines; slice of Madeira cake; mint penguin style biscuit; cup o' tea.
Dinner: Shepherd's pie; mixed veg; tomato ketchup; ground black pepper; grated cheese. Pudding was spotted dick with custard. Coffee; Sainsbury's caramel chocolate; Cadbury's Dairy Milk Turkish.

No comments: