Thursday 12 February 2009

Reading The Web Squeeze

This morning I watched some more jQuery tutorial videos and my question on the web squeeze about the PEAR Mail class not working on the web server had been answered, so I ticketed my host to get that fixed. I also checked my email a few times.

After lunch I checked my email again and my host had fixed the include_path for PHP so that it would look where the PHP Mail classes were stored. Unfortunately the fix was in a PHP.ini file that they put inside the site's directory. I like to keep both my client side copy of the site and the live site the same, as otherwise I have to make sure not to select certain files when performing an update.

I downloaded the php.ini from the live site into my local site, and my local site would no longer work because the directory the extensions were stored in was different on the live site to my test site. I started creating symbolic links on the local site so the extension directories in the php.ini file would point towards where the extensions were actually stored on my local system.

But then after doing a couple I realised that actually I could probably just comment out the lines about the extension directories and the site would probably just use the extension directories specified in the main php.ini file. So I tried this and indeed mysqli still worked when the extension directories were commented out (it didn't work on my local site when the extension directories weren't commented out).

After getting that working I read nearly all the new threads on the web squeeze. I also googled a bit about encryption/hash algorithms and form spoofing, but it seemed I was already doing the stuff form spoofing articles talked about (basically just making sure you validate any data server side).

After dinner I watched 'The Day The Earth Stood Still' and the latest episode of Lost with Mac and Ben. Then I checked the web squeeze again.

Food
Breakfast: Pink grapefruit marmalade toast sandwich; cup o' tea.
Lunch: Breaded ham with crunchy salad sandwich; banana; milk chocolate fake kitkat; cup o' tea.
Dinner: 2x Burritos; rice; crunchy salad. Pudding was ice cream with yoghurt and wafers. Sainsbury's caramel chocolate; Cadbury's Dairy Milk Turkish; coffee.

No comments: