Tuesday 10 February 2009

Wasting time

This morning I did some washing up, unloaded and loaded the dishwasher, sorted the washing and put some in the washing machine. Then I checked my email and did some work on panachallengetest. I wanted to edit the EXIF of a photo to remove the Program mode information and the Metering information, but EXIFToolsGUI couldn't do this.

After some googling I found a Photo management program digiKam for KDE on Linux. I didn't know if it could edit the EXIF fields I wanted to, but I thought I might as well install it and try it out. I spent quite a long time trying to install it and googling the various error messages to see how to fix it (not the actual program, just the other things it required to be installed in order to run).

Eventually I realised that I was wasting my time really going through all the trouble of trying to get it to install, when all I wanted to do was edit a couple of EXIF fields, and if I couldn't edit them it didn't really matter anyway.

After lunch I did more work on panachallengetest. The main problem I had was that I was checking whether stirpos() evaluated to true. It was evaluating to false because the string I was searching for was at position 0 (0 evaluates to false). It took my quite a long time to realise that was the script wasn't working properly, even though on the php.net page for stripos it has a warning about precisely this.

Then I found that I hadn't read the ticket for the job properly (again) and had coded some extra functionality that wasn't needed. Most of the images I had spent time creating with different EXIF info missing were for testing this unneeded stuff as well. I really should learn to read what things actually say rather than just reading them and doing what I think needs to be done based on the overall gist of the ticket.

After commiting the changes I read Please Excuse Me While I Clean My Lens for a bit, then went on Animal Crossing for a bit.

Just as we were having dinner the Hospital phoned Rad to say that Granny had died.

After dinner me, Mac and Ben watched The Bourne Ultimatum. Then me and Mac watched Flight Of The Conchords s02e04 and The Office (US) latest episode (whatever it was).

I googled about using Nikon flashes on Canon cameras, and it seems it's safe to do so even without taping the TTL pins on the flash: Nikon flash on Canon body, Can I use a nikon flash with canon, Will A Nikon Flash Work on Canon Body in Manual? and Nikon flash on a canon body?. I checked for images of the bottom of the SB-28DX flash unit mentioned to check it does have TTL pins on the bottom, like the SB-800, and it does: Nikon SB-28 AF-TTL Speedlight Instruction Manual.

Another thread is this one: Nikon Flash on Canon Body, where the last poster says there may be problems using Canon flashes on Olympus cameras and vice versa, however SteB used the MT-24EX on an Olympus Camera, so it seems like the TTL pins don't actually have any negative effects when using flashes designed for a different system.

It seems from these that it is also likely there wouldn't be a problem using Canon flash units on a Nikon body. The only thread I found about this though is this one: Canon Flash on Nikon Body, where someone says they've successfully used a few different Canon flashes on a Nikon body.

Food
Breakfast: Lemon marmalade toast sandwich; cup o' tea.
Lunch: 2x cheese on toasts with crunchy salad; clementine; cup o' tea.
Dinner: Beef burger in bun with crunchy salad, tomato ketchup and grated cheese. Bowl of chicken flavour and vegetable fake cup a soup. Pudding was an apple pie. Coffee.
Supper: Happy Hippo; Coffee.

No comments: