Thursday 22 January 2009

Doing stuff that doesn't work

This morning I tried setting px values on the svg I was creating for the upside down text, but webkit would still resize both the text and the svg, resulting in double text size increase or decrease when changing text size in the browser. So I gave up on that, and tried to make a page that displays a website upside down in an iframe. While I could get it to work in Firefox, the contents of the iframe were still the right way up in webkit, so I gave up on that as well.

After lunch I started downloading Lost s05e01 on Mac's PC, he had already started downloading s05e02 in the morning, but episode 1 wasn't available then (weirdly). I went on Animal and sold my turnips for about 146 bells (bought at about 98 bells). So now after 1 week's loss and 2 weeks gain I have about 6,000 bells from my initial 10,000 bells investment. When Mac got home he said that the turnips price change in the morning and the afternoon every day (we thought they just changed every day).

Also Nookway is now Nookington's, and is very posh. They also have an upstairs now with Nook's nephews or whoever they are.

After that I setup a copy of panoguide on my PC as I've volunteered to help them out with some coding (though not sure how much help I'll actually be).

Then I tried to reset the router to get the domain based access for it working again. First of all after resetting it, it just didn't work at all (lights were on but the PC couldn't connect to it). I tried resetting it again, and it still didn't work. Finally I tried holding down the reset button with the power off, and then letting go when I put the power in, and thankfully it got the router working again.

After that me and Rad looked around for a while to find out what the default password for the router was, eventually Rad found the CD for it so I looked on the manual on the CD and found the password, but it didn't work. I tried the password that we'd set before, and it did work. It seems the reset didn't actually work (although it must have done something since it broke the router for a while). I checked the domain for the router (routerlogin.net), and it worked.

Then I tried it on my PC, and it didn't work. I tried it on Mac's PC and it did work. Both Rad's PC and Mac's PC only had the deafult settings in their windows hosts file, so I don't know why my PC can't connect to the router via a domain name, when theirs can. I checked the hosts file on the router, and it was back to the default and the hosts_backup file I had created was gone too. I assumed the reset had got rid of them.

I edited the hosts file to add a new entry, and backed it up as well, and then tried the new entry from Mac's PC. It didn't work, just went to the normal website for that domain name, but routerlogin.net still worked. I thought that maybe the modem needed resetting for the change to take effect, so I switched it off for a couple of minutes, then switched it on again. But the domain I'd added still didn't go to the IP address I'd set.

I looked at the hosts file on the modem again and it had gone back to how it was previously, and the backup hosts file had gone as well. I edited the hosts file again, did a kill unet-d or whatever it is that stops you telnetting into it, then enabled telnetting on it again and logged back in, and my changes to the hosts file were still there, so it seems they only get lost when resetting the router.

I tried acessing the domain from Mac's PC, and it still didn't work. I tried adding a new hosts entry in Ubuntu, and it took effect immediately without having to reset it, so I don't know why changing the hosts file on the modem doesn't work. Anyway, unfortunately it seems you can't add DNS records to the modem.

After dinner I played on Excite truck with Ben, then me, Ben and Mac watched Lost (yes, surprisingly both episodes downloaded already, and in 720p as well!) After that I read the canon lens forums on dpreview for a bit.

The weather today was rainy in the morning, then sunny/cloudy in the afternoon, but cold and windy, then rainy and overcast again later in the afternoon.

Food
Breakfast: Blackcurrant jam toast sandwich; cup o' tea.
Lunch: Chicken tikka sandwich spread sandwich; clementine; white grapes; cup o' tea.
Dinner: Spaghetti; herby tomato sauce stuff; bacon. Pudding was 2x small sponge cakes with apricot jam. Coffee.
Evening snack: German biscuit; Sainsbury's caramel chocolate; white chocolate coin; Coffee.

No comments: