Saturday 24 January 2009

More looking at rounded corners/custom borders

This morning (and a bit of the afternoon) I did some more work trying to work out how to give a box custom borders. Unfortunately I couldn't work out how to get it working in IE6, which seemed to just not display some elements for no reason, and webkit, which seems to increase the padding size when you increase the text size.

I haven't actually tried using the 456 Berea Street method I posted about yesterday yet, but the problem I can see with is is that if you have an element with a gradient as a background, and the box needs to stretch to a reasonable size, then the box image you need to create will be quite large (in terms of KB). If you are just using a plain background, then although the image is large in terms of px, it doesn't take up much in terms of KB.

Before lunch I went on Animal Crossing, Nook had a special in - A Samurai suit, so I bought that. Sadly you can't wear it, it's just a piece of furniture.

In the afternoon I tried to setup file sharing between Ubuntu and Vista, but failed. Although Ubuntu can see other PCs in the house, it can't see my PC. And although Vista can see Ubuntu, it won't let me access the shared folder and says that the username/password I enter are incorrect. I am guessing it must be because Ubuntu is just in a VM and actually on the same machine as Vista, even though it has its own IP address.

After dinner I played on Excite Truck with Ben for a bit (Mac has gone to see his mate in Worksop for the spleenkend).

In the evening I was wondering whether .png was lossless, and it turns out that 24bit is, so that's good. I read this very helpful article: When and how to use internet image formats (JPEG, PNG, GIF).

I also tried out the 456 Berea Street method for custom borders, and unfortunately it didn't work for my box that had a gradient fill, so it looks like I'll have to keep on working on this.

Food
Breakfast: Tangerine Orange Marmalade toast sandwich; cup o' tea.
Lunch: 1½ Mature cheddar cheese with salad sandwich made with fresh bread-maker-made bread; honey on a slice of fresh bread-maker-made bread; Clementine; cup o' tea.
Dinner: Delee cumberland sausage; delee apple & pork sausage; mashed potato; baked beans. Pudding was 2x mince pies with squirty cream. Coffee.

No comments: