Tuesday 27 January 2009

More working on custom borders

This morning I went on Animal for a bit, Nook was offering about 112 bells per turnip, so probably a fews bells more than what I bought for. I didn't sell though, hopefully he'll go up to about 150 bells on Wednesday or Thursday. I also saw Sahara and gave her 3 old carpets, which she gave me a classroom floor for, and said it was rare. I asked every animal in the village for their old carpets, so three was the maximum amount of old carpets I could get. I wonder if you could store the old carpets the animals give you until the next time Sahara comes, then get 3 more carpets, and you;d be able to give her 6 old carpets and maybe get a really rare floor?

After that I checked my spleenmail and did some more testing of my custom borders javascript function. I spent quite a bit of time creating a new corner / borders images. Getting that working took probably most of the morning.

After lunch I went on Animal again and Nook was now accepting about 106 bells per turnip, so I still didn't sell. I tried my custom borders page in IE6, and some of the images were slightly off by a pixel or so. Also they were trashed since I was using .pngs with alpha transparency as the background images. I spent a lot of the rest of the afternoon trying to get that working. Unfortunately the normal IE6 png alpha transparency fix (an MS Filter) doesn't work for tiled/repeating background images.

It seems you can get tiled/repeating backgrounds with transparency in pngs by using them in a VML element. However, the edges of the element fade to transparent (wierd). Drew Diller has written a script that will convert .pngs to VML elements, however this didn't work in my case, I think because in IE6 the heights/widths of some of the elements are an expression, rather than a set width.

While I could work on making my custom borders script create VMLs rather than divs with backgroud images for IE6, I don't think it's worth the hassle at the moment, and will probably just settle for a plain border in IE6.

After Ben came home from school I played on Excite truck with him for quite a while, then did more work on the custom borders in IE6 issue.

After dinner I re-tagged and renamed some mp3s, then did a backup. Then I watched 'Battlestar Trashlactica: Razor' with Mac. It was quite boring, I'm glad we didn't watch it all in one go. After that I watched 'The Office (US)' with Mac, which was as good as usual (quite good), then watched s02e01 of 'Flight Of The Conchords' with Mac, the episode was good, but the songs weren't up to much.

The weather today was misty and frosty first thing. The frost melted quite quickly and the mist had gone by mid morning. At lunch time it was sunny and cloudy, then in the afternoon it became overcast, and was overcast for the rest of the day.

Food
Breakfast: Tangerine marmalade toast sandwich; cup o' tea.
Lunch: Cheese on toast; salad; ½ chicken tikka sandwich spread with salad sandwich; clementine; chocolate digestive bar; cup o' tea.
Dinner: Bacon quiche; peas; potato; butter. Pudding was not very gingery ginger sponge with white sauce/custard stuff. Coffee.
Supper: 2x Oreos; cup o' tea.

No comments: