Monday 5 January 2009

Trying to get virtual hosts setup on Ubuntu

Last night when I was trying to get to sleep I heard a loud fluttering noise, like a really big moth in the corner above my bed or a bird trying to get in the window. After a bit I switched the light on to see what it was, and there was a moth in the spanish caterpillar tank. Wierd how it sounded so loud and near my head (the tank was actually on top of the fishtank at the end of my bed.

Clare was just going to bed so I told her and she had a look at it and said that Ben had prayed that the Spanish caterpillar would be alright or hatch earlier this evening, so obviously his prayer worked! I guess my room must have been too warm since I don't think the moth should have hatched until Spring. I put the tank out on the landing for the night so it wouldn't fly around and keep me awake, though it still took me ages to get to sleep as normal.

This morning I took some photos of the moth, it was very good and sat on some paper and didn't fly away. Unfortunately it was just sat on the edge of some paper, and I couldn't get it to move further in on the paper, so most of the photos have the dge of the paper in them. After a bit the batteries in the flash wore out, so I put the moth in my fishtank along with a milk bottle lid with a bit of honey in it and a milk bottle lid with some water mixed with icing sugar in it.

After that I went on my comp and did some reading about setting up Ubuntu as a web server. I carried on doing this after lunch, and into the evening, but didn't have much luck, apache kept giving me an error saying no virtualHosts were defined for NameVirtualHost *:80, even though they were.

Later in the evening I watched some Lost extras with Mac. I bid on a Canon 500mm/4 IS lens + case, luckily I was outbid. It went for about £2,400, which is very cheap, although it was a new seller with 0 feedback selling it. They said they wanted payment by paypal (I checked the paypal buyer protection guarantee and although on the item listing it only says you're protected up to £150 when paying by paypal, apparently you're protected for the full item cost, but only protected up to £150 if you're not in the UK), so seemed legit. They were also in Northampton, so possibly I could have gone and collected it, though they were offering free postage if the auction went over £1600 anyway.

Why I'm glad I got outbid was is although very cheap, £2,400 is still a lot of money to me (I bid just over £2000, though I did think of bidding £2500 since they normally sell for around £3,500-£4,000 on ebay). Also I might not use it that much since I am busy doing lots of other stuff and still have lots of stuff I could be shooting with my current cameras and lenses.

Food
Breakfast: Grapefruit marmalade toast sandwich; cup o' tea.
Lunch: Mature cheddar cheese sandwich; apple; slice of flapjack; cup o' tea.
Dinner: Pasta; sauce stuff; mixed veg; chicken nuggets. Pudding was 2x home-made biscuits. Coffee.

No comments: