Tuesday 20 January 2009

More SVG/VMLing

This morning I checked my email and downloaded the IE8 and IE6 .vhds for Microsoft Virtual PC 2007, since my current ones had expired. I tried one of the test pages I made yesterday in IE8, and it didn't work very well. One of the vml images didn't display at all, and the text in the other one was very blocky and pixelated. I checked the VML text examples on the Microsoft Developer Network site, and they worked fine, so it must be my code that is wrong.

IE8 doesn't support svg or <canvas>. Looking at the posts and comments on the IE Development Blog, it seems that IE8 is still going to be very buggy and not supporting many things that other browsers have supported for ages. I think that maybe on my site I will have a 'Get Firefox' ad inside an IE conditional comment, so only IE users see it.

In the afternoon I did some more work on my web design mockup, trying to integrate a banner ad. I posted my latest design to the web squeeze for comments/critique, then read some of the threads there.

I played on Excite truck with Ben for a bit, then it was dinner time. After dinner I played Excite Truck with Ben and Mac a bit, then we watched a raddish Planet Earth thing that's like a bonus episode except it's just bits from planet earth you've already seen (and not really the best bits either) plus people saying boring stuff about how everything is going to be extinct.

After that I started work writing some js to create an svg/vml that reflects some text. So far I have got it to copy some text and display it as an svg/vml. But I have run into a problem already - when I insert the svg into a span in Opera, it is making the text smaller. When I insert it into a div, it doesn't. I will carry on with this tomorrow.

The weather today was quite nice and sunny all day, though a bit windy.

Food
Breakfast: Maple & Pecan crunch cereal with added cornflakes and rice crispies; cup o' tea.
Lunch: Mature cheddar cheese sandwich; clementine; white grapes; cup o' tea.
Dinner: Lasagne; potato; green beans. Pudding was Jamaica ginger cake with golden syrup and custard. Coffee.
Evening snack: 2x Oreos; coffee.

No comments: