Monday 7 September 2009

Didn't get any stuff done

This morning I went out in the garden to try and take some photos of insects. I saw a wasp, a crane fly, and a normal fly, but they all flew away so I didn't actually get any pics.

I came back inside and calibrated my monitor, then tried to do some more work on my photo website.

Komodo Edit seems to crash quite frequently, so I thought I'd check if there were any updates. I did think that Komodo Edit would automatically alert you when updates were available, but I decided to check for updates in case in didn't. Well, there was an update available, so it seems that Komodo Edit doesn't check for updates automatically.

Unfortunately, Komodo Edit couldn't download the update itself - it just got stuck at 'Connecting to Server'. So I downloaded the latest version from the Activestate website. I untared it, and got a load of errors about missing files. I tried to install it anyway, but that didn't work, I got an error about missing files.

So I thought I'd carry on using the current crashy version (5.1.1), but it wouldn't start. So I restarted the Ubuntu virtual machine, but still couldn't get Komodo Edit to start. I opened Firefox to try and download Komodo Edit again, but the search button wasn't working, neither the top right hand corner search built into the browser, nor the search on the default webpage (Google.com Ubuntu version) that Ubuntu starts up with.

So I had to restore the Ubuntu Virtual Machine Image from my last backup. I tried downloading the latest version of Komodo Edit again, but then had the same problem when extracting it. However, I noticed that one of the messages said about there not being enough space, rather than it just couldn't find a file/directory.

I tried using Google from Firefox again, but again the search wasn't working. After emptying my deleted items, I found I could now search in Firefox. Seems the problem was just that I didn't have enough hard drive space. I extracted Komodo Edit again, and it installed fine.

After getting the latest version of Komodo Edit installed (it still crashes though), I tried to do some more work getting Wordpress working. However, I came across a few problems I couldn't find answers to on Google, so I posted on the websqueeze to try and get help there.

I went in the garden and actually managed to get a few photos of a wasp, though I had to keep running away whenever it started flying. I didn't get any great photos, though I did at least get some in focus.

I read bythom.com while doing backups, then I tried to see if I could add Google Search to my site.

At dinner time, L ate one of his corn cobs that he'd been growing in the garden, but it was quite weird as most of the cob didn't have any corn on it, and the bits of corn that were on it were really big and fat.

After dinner I played on the Sword challenge thingy on Wii Sports Resort for ages. I was just trying to complete the reverse Volcano level. The furthest I got was to the last bloke, he only had one heart left, but then he killed me.

I did some more work on my website, but found that the Google javascript was breaking. Doing some googling I found a thread about a similar problem with the Google Maps javascript. It seems the problem is due to Google using innerHTML and document.write, which doesn't work with XHTML documents.

One of the posts there pointed to a fix that overwrites the document.write method to an XHTML compatible document.write. (Currently their page is powered by Wordpress, and served as XHTML, so it can't be pasred due to the problem with Wordpress using named entities that don't exist in XML - I needed to view source to read the page).

However, while I now wasn't getting any javascript errors, the google.setOnLoadCallback function didn't seem to be working - the callback function never fired.

Also, I was getting a javascript error in IE, but the IE script debugger wouldn't show me where the error was, just saying
A debugger break at "JScript anonymous function" could not be handled because the source document could not be found.
Check the class path in the Debug Options dialog. The application will continue.
I tried googling, but couldn't see how to fix this. I also tried deleting all the headers to do with Cache/expires etc. in Fiddler 2 for the google javascript files (all javascript files served from my site have long expires headers), but still got the same error.

It seems that XHTML is causing quite a problem for me with this site, with both Wordpress and Google not supporting it (at least Wordpress doesn't support XHTML in its default configuration, not sure if it can be modified to support XHTML). Unfortunately, I want to use RDFa on the site, and I think this is only available with XML/XHTML, though it seems there is a proposal to add RDFa support to HTML.

The weather today was overcast most of the morning, then it was sunny a bit and got quite hot in the afternoon. In the evening it clouded over again, but unlike yesterday, there wasn't any visible sunset.

Food
Breakfast: Bowl of choco rice; cup o' tea.
Lunch: Mature yet mellow cheddar cheese with iceberg lettuce sandwich; a few cherry tomatoes; clementine; 3x plums; slice of ginger cake me and lad made last week; Orange Montana; cup o' tea.
Dinner: 2x Lincolnshire sausages; mustard; gravy; potatoes; green beans; carrots. Pudding was plum crumble with custard. Coffee; Piece of Tesco's cheapo chocolate - tasted alright actually.

No comments: