Thursday 10 September 2009

Went on a walk

This morning I went out on a walk with Rad. After we got home I took a few photos of a dead beetle and some little weird beetle things that were with it (I'm guessing they were mites that had been living on the beetle).

After lunch I did some washing up, then went on Animal Crossing for a bit. After that I took a few more photos of the dead beetle and the little weird beetle things that were with it. I downloaded the pics to my PC and then processed them. I uploaded some of the beetle and weird little things that were with it photos to WAB to see if anyone could tell me what they were.

After that I checked my email, then I tried installing Swish++. I had some trouble in that I when I ran make, I was getting an error message similar to
User.c: In member function ‘virtual void User::parse_value(char*)’:
User.c:55: error: ‘::exit’ has not been declared
make: *** [User.o] Error 1
After doing some googling I found that I needed to add #include <cstdlib> to the file mentioned in the error (in the above example User.c). The C++ Standard library includes the definition/declaration of exit, so by including the library this fixes the problem.

When I ran make again, I would get notified of the same error, i.e.
error: ‘::exit’ has not been declared
But in a different file. So I just kept adding #include <cstdlib>to the file that needed it, running make again, etc etc until eventually I had added #include <cstdlib> to all the files that required it and make ran successfully.

I'm guessing the compiler I used (g++) is meant to either add cstdlib automatically, or maybe should include the definition of exit automatically, as the INSTALL.unix file that comes with Swish++ says
Don't complain to me or bother asking me for help if you get either "No such
file or directory" for or errors in the standard C++ headers. It means that
your C++ compiler and/or libraries are improperly installed. I know nothing
about your OS or how your system is (mis)configured. Complain to your
sysadmin: the person who botched the installation and whose job it is to fix
it.

After installing Swish++ I tried to find out how to actually use it. I went on the Swish++ website, read the FAQ, and saw that it was only designed to work with English. My website has the latin/scientific names for stuff, and after I've been to Korea and Japan, it will also have things in Romanji (Romanised Japansese), and probably Kanji as well.

I posted on the web squeeze to see what other people would recommend for adding search to your website, then tried to get Swish++ working. I read the docs on httpindex, but couldn't get wget to download the website for swish++ to index, so posted on the Ubuntu forums to ask for help with this.

The weather today started off cloudless, then during the morning clouds started to roll in, creating a mix of clouds and sun. In the evening all the clouds rolled away, and there was a sunset with a clear sky.

Food
Breakfast: Blackcurrant jam toast sandwich; cup o' tea.
After walk snack: Dark chocolate digestive; shortbread finger; coffee.
Lunch: Sliced pickled beetroot sandwich; packet of Smoky bacon flavour crisps; 3x plums; cup o' tea.
Dinner: Pasta; Cheese sauce stuff; Chicken nuggets; ground black pepper. Coffee.
Supper/pudding: Rock cake; cup o' tea.

No comments: