Tuesday 22 September 2009

This morning I did some work on my website, trying to fix some CSS problems in IE6. I also tried changing my XSL stylesheet for IE so that it would add the doctype using an output processing command. Currently I am adding the doctype like so:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" version="1.0">
<xsl:template match="/">
<xsl:text disable-output-escaping="yes">
<![CDATA[
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML+RDFa 1.0//EN" "http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/DTD/xhtml-rdfa-1.dtd" >
]]>
</xsl:text>
<xsl:copy-of select="."/>
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

Instead, I tried using:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" version="1.0">
<xsl:output
method="html"
doctype-public="-//W3C//DTD XHTML+RDFa 1.0//EN"
doctype-system="http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/DTD/xhtml-rdfa-1.dtd"
encoding="UTF-8"
indent="yes"
omit-xml-declaration="yes"/>
<xsl:template match="/">
<xsl:copy-of select="."/>
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

I found the method of the output had to be set to html, otherwise IE7 would go into quirks mode. Sadly, IE6 was still in quirks mode, even with the omit-xml-declaration set to yes (IE6 goes into quirks mode if there is anything before the doctype).

After that I took a pano in the front garden to test how well calibrated the NN3 was, after the calibration I attempted to do on it/the camera lens combo the other day.

While PTGUI was processing I watched this video, which I though was good:

Manchester Orchestra "I can barely breathe" from clay lipsky on Vimeo.



When I tried to open the photoshop .psb file that PTGUI had created though, it brought my computer to a grinding halt. I had quite a few things running - an IE6 Virtual machine, Ubuntu Virtual Machine, Firefox, Thunderbird, Capture NX, PTGUI, and a folder open in Windows Explorer. So I slowly closed them down. It took ages because the computer was being so slow it would take about 5 minutes to close each one.

Eventually I got task manager open, and could see that all 8GB of my RAM was being used, so photoshop must have been thrashing the disk, slowing everything down so much. I think the lesson is - don't process panos with multiple exposure levels into one file - instead try and process each exposure level into a separate file. Then you can process your files separately and only bring the merged versions of the other exposures into your main file when needed. My pano was only 8 bit as well, imagine how bad it would have been with a 16bit output pano!

After lunch I went on Animal Crossing, then I did some more NN3 calibration testing, just taking panos at various offsets along the top rail to see what gave the best control point optimisation figures when optimised in PTGUI.

I checked dpreview and the canon lens forums on dpreview, then installed the FastPictureViewer WIC Codec Pack 1.20. Amazingly, this lets you view CR2 and NEF files as thumbnails in Windows Explorer on an x64 system. I had previously downloaded the Canon RAW codecs and Nikon RAW Codecs from the Canon and Nikon websites respectively, but neither worked on my Vista x64 system, whilst the FastPictureViewer WIC Codec Pack does work.

The rest of the afternoon and evening I worked on a mockup of my blog (not this one, the one for my photo website) in photoshop. I also did another Japanese lesson with Moccle.

Food
Breakfast: Bowl of Harvest Morn Chocolate crunch oat cereal; cup o' tea.
Lunch: Mature cheddar cheese sandwich; apple; 3x plums; cup o' tea.
Dinner: Spaghetti; meatballs; mixed veg; grated parmesan style cheese; ground black pepper. Pudding was a slice of chocolate swiss roll with mandarin segments and coffee custard. Coffee.

No comments: