Saturday 12 September 2009

Lubenham Scarecrow Festival

This morning I went out in the garden, but only saw one fly, and it flew away.

I did some more work getting mnogosearch setup, but it seems that the php extension/interface/front-end for mnogosearch probably won't work with the mysql native driver (mysqlnd), which is what I'm using on the web server.

So I posted on the mnogosearch forums to see if using the php extension when php was compiled with the mysql native driver was possible.

Next I looked at the perl front end. It seems that to get the search results on my page, I would need to call the perl front-end from php (as I need my php includes to be printed as part of the page), and then probably re-process the perl output in PHP - not terribly efficient.

So I decided to stop looking at search for a bit, and looked for a new compactFlash card, to make sure I had plenty of memory for our trip to Korea and Japan. The Sandisk Extreme III 4GB CompactFlash memory cards seem to be £20 now, when about a year ago they were £15. So instead I bought a Sandisk Extreme III 8GB CompactFlash memory card, which was £33. It was the same price at Amazon and 7dayshop, so I bought it from 7dayshop as they explicitly stated that it was the newer 30MB/s version, whereas the amazon listing didn't state the speed.

I also checked ebay, but most of the cards on there seemed to be more expensive (and there's always the possibility of getting fakes from ebay).

After lunch I went on Animal Crossing, then went to the Lubenham Scarecrow festival with Mark, Shaz, Clare, and L.

Yesterday I was trying to find out a good way to get CGI working with Nginx. I already had setup the perl fast-cgi cgi script, but the problem with this is that it doesn't include a way to check if it's running or not. What I would like to do is to have a cron job that tries and starts it every half hour or so, this means that if the process gets killed for some reason, it will automatically be restarted within half on hour.

Trying to find out how to do this, I found this post nginx cgi, which suggests using thttpd, another (lightweight and reasonably popular) web server that I'd never heard of before. Then after that I read a post on the WebFaction forums about how you can check whether a program is running or not in a shell script.

In the evening I sorted and processed the scarecrow photos I'd taken today and did a backup. I also did a bit of work on my photo website blog.

The weather today was warm and sunny all day, and there was a sunset with a clear sky.

Food
Breakfast: Blackcurrant jam toast sandwich; cup o' tea.
Lunch: Mature cheddar cheese with iceberg lettuce sandwich; 3x plums; home-made rock cake; Caramel Rocky; cup o' tea.
Afternoon snack: Ring doughnut; can of Fanta Fruit Twist.
Dinner: Re-heated Fish & chip shop chips; 2x delee sausages; baked beans. For pudding I had the last slice of Rad's birthday Blackforest Gateaux from yesterday. Coffee.

No comments: