Friday 25 September 2009

Websiting

This morning I was still doing work on my photo website, trying to fix some display quirks that were happening in some browsers, but not others.

One of the things I tried, which I think works quite well, is to use the CSS text-shadow property to slightly bold text. With the font I'm using (font-family: 'Lucida Sans Unicode', 'Lucida Sans', 'Lucida Grande', Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif;), it seems to only display either thin and spindly or bold and thick, with no in-between. However, using text-shadow with the offset to to zero, and the colour the same as the font colour, you can use it to bold your text slightly e.g.

font-weight: 400;
text-shadow: #FFF 0 0 0;
This makes the text slightly bolder than normal, but not as thick as true bold text. I also found a tutorial on how to get a similar effect to text-shadow in IE. I didn't want to duplicate my text, so I tried just the glow filter on my text. It did work in bolding the text, but without the blur looked a bit rough. Also it seems the minimum amount of glow you can have is 1px, which might be a bit too thick (depending on your font size). I decided that the text looked better in IE just bolded normally, and then I decided that actually it looked better in IE as just normal weight text.

I carried on working on my website the rest of the morning and most of the afternoon.

Also in the afternoon, I did a Japanese lesson, and also went out in the garden for a bit. I saw three different flies that I tried to take photos of, but they all flew away. Oh, and I went on Animal Crossing, of course.

In the evening I did a bit more work on my photo website blog, then did a backup (which took a long time).

The weather today started off very nice, then it gradually clouded over, and was overcast quite a bit of the afternoon. Around 6pm, the sun was low enough in the sky to give a nice golden glow to everything, but by about 6.30pm there was a bank of cloud in front of the sun, so no actual sunset. Still, the sky (not the clouds though) was quite a nice orange-purple twilight colour after the sun had set.

Food
Breakfast: Tangerine marmalade toast sandwich; cup o' tea.
Lunch: Ham with mustard and salad sandwich; 4x plums; a few red grapes; Rocky; cup o' tea.
Dinner: Battered fish portion; potatoes; peas; tinned plum tomato; ground black pepper. Pudding was: Custard cream; Chocolate crinkle crunch cream; 1⅙ Chocolate Eclairs; coffee.

No comments: