Wednesday 2 September 2009

Ripping CDs and trying out Wordpress

I spent most of this morning ripping some CDs that I tried to download yesterday, but hadn't downloaded (due to no seeders).

I also tested my mysql trigger that I had wrote yesterday for deleting unused categories, and it seemed to work okay.

In the afternoon I tried to install Wordpress. It seems that it doesn't support the mysqli extension for some cheesun. I found a patch/plugin/whatever to enable mysqli support, but unfortunately it didn't seem to work with the latest version of Wordpress that I had downloaded. So I just had to use it with the mysql extension.

After getting it installed, I needed to style it to match the rest of my website. Unfortunately, it seems that this isn't so easy, and the questions I read on this subject were always replied to with the answer that you should convert the rest of your website to Wordpress (and then style Wordpress).

Anyway, since I'm just looking into Wordpress, I decided to see if I could style it to match the rest of my website. I found that because of the way Wordpress is structured, it seemed that I had to copy and paste the structure of my current website into the Wordpress template files, rather than just being able to specify my website template files.

So I will have 2 sets of website template files - one set for the main website, and one for Wordpress. If I want to change anything in the website, it will mean changing it in two places - the main website templates and the Wordpress templates.

Another problem I had was that Wordpress was using the html entity » », which isn't a valid entity in XHTML when served as XHTML, so my wordpress page would just come up with an error message. Doing some googling, it seemed the solution was to use the hex/numeric entity instead of the named entity.

I couldn't find out how to get Wordpress to use numeric entities instead of named entities, so I just did a 'replace all' in the Wordpress files.

When looking at Wordpress stuff, one of the blogs I came across had a link to http://thru-you.com/, which is songs made from multiple youtube videos cut up, overlayed, and stuck together. The tracks are all really great, and also in a variety of styles.

I had a look at http://wpressd.com/, which says
WPress'd is the only resource you need for all your Wordpress related content. Why subscribe to 20 feeds when you can subscribe to just one, which has content from all of them.
However, the last post there was 127 days ago, so either there hasn't been any "Wordpress related content" in that time period, or the site isn't exactly keeping to its "about" statement.

In the evening I watched 'Salesman' with Moccle, which was about Bible Salesmen.

The weather was overcast all day and it rained most of the time.

Food
Breakfast: Lemon marmalade toast sandwich; cup o' tea.
Lunch: Ham and cheese toasted cob with little gem lettuce; ½ packet roast chicken flavour crisps; Banana; Montana; cup o' tea.
Dinner: Stir fried vegetables; chicken breast; soy sauce. Pudding was banana whip with sliced banana, chocolate tapioca pudding, and a slice of strawberry jam sponge cake. Coffee.
Supper: Shortbread finger; Chocolate digestive; cup o' tea.

No comments: