Friday 11 September 2009

Trying to install a search engine for my website

This morning I checked my email and tried to get wget to download my website so I could use swish++'s httpindex program. On the Ubuntu forums someone suggested using httrack instead of wget to download the site, but I couldn't get that working either.

Shaz and Clare came back from holiday in the Philippines, and we watched a slideshow of the photos they had taken.

Before lunch I went in the garden for a few minutes and took a couple of photos about a cranefly.

After lunch I played on Animal Crossing as usual, then checked my email again. After that I tried installing a different search engine to use on my website, but found that I didn't have enough hard drive space in my Ubuntu Virtual machine. I spent ages trying to get to the boot screen in the Virtual Machine when starting it up, but the time you get to press the button (esc) was too short for me to ever hit it on time.

Then I did some googling and found this helpful post: Tricks for getting a VM to boot from CD – bios.bootDelay. After adding bios.bootDelay = "10000" to the Virtual Machine's .vmx file I finally managed to get into the boot menu so I could boot gparted from CD.

After getting the Virtual Machine's hard drive size increased, I tried to install OpenWebSpider. It requires Mono, so I first tried installing that. However, that requires bison, so I installed that.

After getting bison installed, I tried installing Mono again. However, I still got the error that bison wasn't installed. I did some googling to see what you should do if a program is in a non-standard location. I did find some info (add LDFLAGS=-L/path/to/app/lib to your configure command), but this didn't seem to work, so posted on the Mono forums (which seems to actually be a mailing list) to see if I could get some help there.

So out of the three search engines I've tried (Google site search, Swish++, OpenWebSpider), I haven't been able to get any of them to work. :(

I downloaded another search engine to try out, mnoGoSearch. But I got an error when trying to make it, something like
In file included from spell.c:997:
/usr/include/mysql/my_global.h:710:1: warning: "closesocket" redefined
In file included from ../include/udm_common.h:21,
from spell.c:23:
../include/udm_config.h:87:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
spell.c:1000:20: error: plugin.h: No such file or directory
spell.c:1118: error: expected ')' before '*' token
spell.c:1191: error: expected ')' before '*' token
spell.c:1215: error: expected ')' before '*' token
Using google I found someone else who had had the same problem, and luckily they had worked out how to fix it: mnoGoSearch 3.3.8: compiling with --enable-mysql-fulltext-plugin fails.

So first I had to see what version of mysql I had installed. mysql -version told me I had 5.0.75.

Next I had to find where I could download the source for an old version of mysql. Luckily google had the answer again, and I found a link to the 5.0.75 mysql version.

After downloading and untarring mysql 5.0.75, I found it didn't contain a plugin.h file, so I configured and make'd it, but it still didn't contain a plugin.h (find ./ -name plugin-h returned no results). Then I looked at the MnoGoSearch Manual page for the MySQL fulltext parser plugin, and realised that the Mysql pluggable fulltext parsers interface is only available from MySQL 5.1 onwards. Doh!

After a while I got bored and tried making a custom bokeh piece of card thing and taking some photos with my 50/1.4.

I also saw that Warehouse express are taking pre-orders for the Sony Alpha 850 for £1898, which is actually more expensive than the Canon 5D Mk II at £1879. It seems there is a greater discrepancy of prices in the US (with the Sony Alpha 850 being cheaper than the Canon 5D Mark 2). For some reason the Sony Alpha 850 is a lot more expensive here than it is in the US, On the Luminous Landscape they said:
As you've read in the headline, the Sony A850 is going to sell in the US for around $2,000. This undercuts the 5D MKII and A900 by some $700, or 25%.
Quite a different story to the UK pricing.

The weather today was nice and sunny. Around sunset the sky got filled with thin wispy clouds, making for a very nice sunset. A shame I had to be inside trying to get mnoGoSearch installed.

Food
Breakfast: Blackcurrant jam toast sandwich; cup o' tea.
Elevenses: Cheese cake (Philippino cheese flavoured small sponge cake); cup o' tea.
Lunch: 2x cheese on toasts with iceberg lettuce; 2x (home-grown) plums; 2x (home-grown) grapes; home-made Rock cake; Caramel Rocky; cup o' tea.
Dinner: Fish & chips (from fish and chip shop); salt. For pudding I had a dark chocolate digestive and a shortbread finger.
Supper: Slice of Blackforest Gateaux (Rad's birthday cake); cup o' tea.

No comments: