Tuesday 28 October 2008

Frosty morning and getting closer to getting mysqli working

I kept waking up this morning, but then I would go back to sleep because it was still dark. On about the fourth time I woke up I thought I better check the time since I thought it must be time to get up by now, but it was only 5.30am so I went back to sleep again. The next time I woke up it was 6.30am and it was starting to get light outside so I got up. It was frosty but not misty.

By the time I'd had my shower and breakfast it was 7.30am, and the sun had already been up for a while, sunrise was at 6.53am. So it probably would have been better to get up at 5.30am so I could catch the sunrise. Since the sun had already been up for a while I didn't bother going to take photos of the sunrise and frosty fields, but instead went into the back garden and took some macros of frosty leaves and grass.

After that I did a japanese lesson and got granny breakfast. The sky had completely clouded over by about 9.30am, the sky was clearer earlier.

I checked my email and had received some replies from evohosting, who said that the PHP.net mysqli Prepared Statements script works okay on another server so can they move my site there. Before replying to them I did some more checking on the version of MySQL needed to work with the mysqli extension for PHP, since it seems that the MySQL installation must be the thing that isn't working with prepared statements through mysqli.

The MySQL version installed on the server is 4.1.22, and the mysqli extension for PHP should work with MySQL version 4.1 and above. However, it seems that despite all the information given out in the PHP.net manual and the MySQL manual and other sites, the mysqli extension for PHP does not work with mysql version 4.1. It actually needs MySQL version 4.1.3.

After finishing checking my emails it was lunch time. After lunch I checked HotUKdeals, then did another japanese lesson. It rained a bit. I checked the canon lens forum on dpreview and then processed/sorted the frosty macro pics I took this morning and also a few macros I took yesterday.

It's actually snowing now! Though it's not settling :(.

I uploaded some of the frosty macros I took this morning to the weekly dpreview macro thread. One of the images I had resized for web using Juza's technique of oversharpening the fullsize image and then downrezzing. The other images just had the default ACR sharpening applied on RAW conversion, and then downrezzed. The one using Juza's technique looked a lot better to me, so after posting the pics to dpreview, I re-downsized the otherpics using Juza's technique (actually I didn't follow his technique properly and I'm sure even better results could be had if following it properly). The ones using Juza's technique all looked a lot better than the originals to me. Then I uploaded them to Flickr and joined the BBC Autumnwatch group and added the photos to that.

I read a few threads in the Nikkor lens group on Flickr, then it was dinner time. After dinner I watched Battlestar Trashlactica with Mac, it was the last episode of season 3 was and was actually quite good! Then I checked my email and had received a reply from evohosting to say they had moved my site to a new server which the php.net mysqli prepared statement example worked on. After that watched Autumn watch, then checked panoguide, hen went to bed.

Food
Breakfast: Orange marmalade toast sandwich; orange juice.
Lunch: Breaded ham with mustard sandwich; clementine; Gold bar; cup o' tea; Roses.
Afternoon snack: Cappuchino; malted milk; choc chip cookie.
Dinner: Slice of cheese and tomato pizza; slice of pepperoni pizza; peas; sweetcorn; deep fried potato; deep fried mashed potato; lemon flavoured couscous. Pudding was 1 ¼ coconut tarts with evaporated milk. Coffee.

No comments: