Monday 6 October 2008

Trying to get a prepared statement to work

This morning I woke up about 6am. After breakfast I went on the pinternet, then after the sun had risen I saw it was misty and the sun was shining through the mist with a nice orange glow (I had to go outside and look down the street towards the sun to see this). So I went on a walk to the nearby field full of black plastic wrapped haybales.

The sun rose at about 7.15am, and I went out about 7.50am. I think I would have been better going out at 7.15am as likely the sky would have been more orange than it was when I went out and the sun was already reasonably high in the sky. Going out much later than I did wouldn't have been very good as the sun would have had time to melt the frost. There was no wind, and I took my tripod and carried it by the strap, which worked well. Unfortunately I didn't bring a remote shutter release, pano head or fisheye lens, all of which would have been useful (both together and seperately).

I had to bracket 9EV to get the full range in. I hope the images will align okay for exposure fusion/HDR etc processing, although since I didn't have a remote shutter release cable there may be some mis-alignment between the bracketed images.

I got home just after 8.30am, then sorted and processed the pictures. Mainly I processed them in PTGUI using exposure fusion (even though they weren't panos) and then edited them in PS. Even though the images didn't line up exactly due to not using a shutter release cable, the exposure fusion still did a good job. When I had finished processing them I backed up my pics and hoovered my room. When I put my tripod away I found that my tripod carrying strap had scratched some paint off my Markins ball head. It won't affect the ball head's performance at all, but will knock off quite a bit of it's value should I want to sell it. So that was annoying and I'll have to try and be careful not to let that happen next time I use it.

After lunch I finished backing up. For some cheesun when I started the comp up with my external internal (or should that be internal external?) backup drive it gave a message saying sumat like 'cannae boot from device jimmy, change the disc or reset'. I checked the BIOS and the external internal drive wasn't set as a boot device at all. So I had to start up the PC with just the power plugged into the external internal drive, then when windows loaded I plugged in the SATA cable and it worked okay. Weird since it has always worked fine from startup previously. The best way to do it would be to plug in the power and SATA cable while the PC is switched on, but I don't really want to do that and risk damaging the drive/PC/getting electrocuted.

When I had got that backed up okay I went in the garden and saw a couple of grasshoppers, so I guess it's still not too cold for them yet. The Knot grass moth catterpillar was still around eating the lemon balm as well. In the boggy patch next to the pond there were bits of thick red stuff sticking up through the surface at various points. I asked Clare if she knew what it was, and she pulled up some Greater Willowherb that was growing in the boggy patch, which had similar coloured roots near the surface and thick white roots beneath the surface, so it's probably Greater Willowherb.

I found some more of the flat moss that probably grows on the roof in the garden, so I brought that in and took some photos of it. I already had some old stuff I had taken photos of, but that was all covered in bits of stuff from being in my room for ages. Then I sorted/processed those pics, and opened my post, which was my fake Gorillapod SLR Zoom I've been waiting a few months for from dealextreme. (They originally sent me just a normal Gorillapod rip-off rather than the SLR Zoom version, and it took them ages to sort out the problem with their supplier who apparently had supplied them with the wrong items, then it also takes quite a while for the post to get here from them. They did let me keep the fake normal Gorillapod as well though, which is just as well since postage to return it back to them in Hong Kong would've been more than it cost.)

By lunch time the sky was covered with grey monotone cloud, so what started as a very nice day quickly changed. I'm glad I didn't go out on a walk, not many of the trees seem to be in autumn colours yet either. I expect the wind and rain the last few days have blown off any leaves that were going coloured anyway.

I read about the human eye and how it relates to photography in terms of resolution, f-stop dynamic range etc. After that I did some work on my website. For some cheesum I couldn't login today, even though it worked yesterday. I found the problem was that I had an SQL statement which said 'SELECT Key.. blah blah blah' and of course 'Key' is a reserved word and needed backticks round it to make the query work. I don't know how it worked yesterday since I'm pretty sure I didn't change the login script at all.

I spent all the rest of the afternoon and quite a bit of the evening trying to work out why my prepared statement for the login script didn't work, but couldn't work out why so posted it as a question on thewebsqueeze. At 8pm I watched the Gadget Show, then went on the pinternet for about an hour.

Food
Breakfast: Blood orange marmalade toast sandwich; cup o' tea.
Lunch: Smoked ham with mustard and crunchy salad sandwich; white grapes; slice of coffee cake; cup o' tea.
Dinner: Omlette with mushrooms and ham; peas; sliced carrots; chili sauce; oven chips. Pudding was hot chocolate blancmange with sliced banana cooked in it and biscuit crumbs on top. Coffee.

No comments: