Wednesday 8 October 2008

Waiting for evohosting

This morning I went on the pinternet and was also in contact with evohosting a bit more about binding parameters using prepared statements with mysqli not working.

phpinfo on the server says mysqli extension is installed and it can connect to the database, retrieve records and write to the database all using mysqli. What the problem is is that the parameters are not being bound, an INSERT statement will just insert a blank row.

Evohosting are not being too helpful so far and just saying that the server is setup properly and working okay. I have uploaded the example script for bind_param from the PHP manual: http://uk3.php.net/manual/en/mysqli-stmt.bind-param.php to the server, and that doesn't work either (just inserts a blank row and then obviously can't delete the row since it can't find the data). So I am pretty sure the problem is with the server, although I'm not sure how you would disable/enable bind_param from working properly.

I also went in the garden and planted some grass Clare bought a small heather plant. I tried to take some photos of grasshoppers but they kept hopping away and although I did see a few flies (not many though) they all flew away.

I checked how well my investments are doing and found that both my gold investments of ca. £3000 ea. have increased by about £300 ea. but my silver and commodities investments of ca. £1000 ea. have decreased by about £300 ea. So I haven't made or lost anything. If I hadn't bought gold when I did and instead bought it when it dropped to $700/oz a few weeks ago I could have made a lot more though. The price of gold is actually less at the moment that what I bought it at, but the value of the pound has dropped a lot, hence the increase in value.

After lunch I went on the pinternet a bit more then did some japanese learning. Then I checked Fotolia I found the following images had been declined because they already have lots of similar photos:
  • Clouds and trees reflected in canal
  • Backlit leaf texture
  • Autumn Leaf (Silo)
Whilst the following were accepted:
  • 3 £20 notes in a jar (Silo)
  • Fly with green background
  • Capsules and medicine bottle (Silo)
Fotolia (like all the other stock agencies) have a page saying what type of images they're looking for: http://blog.fotolia.com/uk/faq/photographer/photo_type.html so I will have a read of that. Unfortunately it seems most stock agencies are looking for images featuring people, and when you don't know any models/people willing to model and sign a model release it's not possible to take people stock photos.

I also just checked stockxpert, and I have been accepted there now. Both agencies seem to have been quite quick to get back to me, since I only submitted the images/application at the weekend, and it's now only Wednesday afternoon. Neither of the sites email you to say you/your photos have been accepted/rejected so you have to check them yourself. Since I haven't checked either of them since I applied, they may have actually approved/rejected the applicatin/images earlier than today.

Strangely stockxpert don't seem to list the images you applied with, so I have had to upload them again. I also added some more Twycross Zoo photos to deviantart, redbubble and Flickr. I went on the pinternet a bit more. Evohosting tried to prove that mysqli prepared statements work properly on their server by showing me a script that showed that mysqli prepared statements weren't working properly on their server. I watched the second episode of 'Boys from the black stuff', the first episode 'The Muscle Market' isn't on the DVD so I'll probably never see it.

After dinner I watched some more episodes of 'Boys from the black stuff'.

Food
Breakfast: Blood orange marmalade toast sandwich; cup o' tea.
Lunch: 2x cheese on toast; white grapes; ½ banana; cup o' tea.
Dinner: Chicken and ham pie; mushrooms; mixed veg; parsnips; potatoes. Pudding was sponge with peach slices and custard. Coffee.

No comments: