Thursday 30 October 2008

Internetting

Didn't get up early this morning - was too sleepy. When I did get up the sky was covered in clouds with no sign of the sun, so I expect there was no (visible) sunrise for me to miss.

After breakfast I checked my email and HotUKdeals. Evohosting said my site had been moved to the new server and should be working now, so I gave it a quick test and it wasn't working properly. The test mysqli script from the PHP.net manual was now binding parameters and inserting the data correctly, so that was good. phpinfo() gave the mysql version as 5.something. But PDO wasn't working.

I checked my milkcapmania test site, and the login still wouldn't work, very annoying. So I decided I would take the PHP.net example script and modify it, turning it into the login script bit by bit so I could see where it goes wrong. So I uploaded a copy of the testscript with a minor modification, but when I tried to run it I got an error 404 - File not found. It seems that my 'addon domains' are not resolving to the new Server IP address. Hopefully this explains why the login script isn't working.

I originally thought (yesterday) that the change of server IP would take a while to propogate, but I don't think it needs to actually. The DNS servers should be pointing my domains to the evohosting nameservers, so only evohosting's nameservers would need updating. I think DNS propogation would only effect me if I was moving hosts so that the domains needed to be pointed to different nameservers.

I checked deviantart and then dpreview canon lens forum, then it was lunch time. After lunch I checked Flickr and my email. I received a reply from evohosting to say that PDO was installed and could I give them a list of my addon domains and they will change the IPs for them. Quite annoying since I gave them a list of the domains yesterday and they said then that the IPs didn't need changing for the addon domains, and that when they update the main domain it will update all the addon domains as well. I sent them the list of addon domains again and checked PDO again - which was now working. It definitely wasn't working earlier though - my PDO test script gave an error and while phpinfo() had pdo listed in the configure command, it didn't have the seperate section for it further down the page (which it does now). So I guess they must have realised that actually PDO wasn't working and fixed it.

I did a couple of minutes exercise on Maccy's rowing machine and then I was totally worn out. I went to the kitchen to get a drink and saw there was some sparrows in the garden so I brought the bird feeders in and cleaned them. After cleaning the long seed feeder with the two upper stalk bits that the birds sit on broken off, I decided that actually I might as well throw it away. I put up a peanut feeder that wasn't out before, but couldn't fill it up very far as I ran out of peanuts. I also put up a fat ball and a tray with some walnuts and robin feed in it. I didn't put up the seed feeder (that I didn't throw away) as it was still wet from being washed. Maybe put that up tomorrow.

After that I checked my email again and did part of a Japanese lesson. After dinner I watched Lost with Mac and Ben, then watched the Office (US) with Mac. After that I finished off my japanese lesson. I started reading the Canon 50d review on dpreview, watched Autumn watched, checked HotUKdeals, then finished reading the dpreview Canon EOS 50D review.

Food
Breakfast: Lemon marmalade toast sandwich; cup o' tea.
Lunch: Breaded ham sandwich; satsuma; slice of marble cake; gold bar; cup o' tea.
Dinner: Beef burger in (not very much) cheese topped cob; baked beans; chips. Pudding was a slice of marble cake with custard. Coffee.
Supper: Home-made oat and raisin biscuit; hot coacoa.

No comments: