Thursday 9 October 2008

Went on a walk and evohosting admit they're wrong

It was a lovely day today, nice blue skies, sunny and warm and not very windy, which is weird since normally whenever Rad wants to go on a walk it's grey and cloudy. So me and Rad went on a walk in the morning, where we went there weren't many Autumnal trees, but we saw quite a lot by the side of the roads on the way there. After the walk we went to Asda and got back home shortly after 1pm.

After lunch I copied my pics to my comp, but rather annoyingly my GPS hadn't recorded a tracklog, even though the batteries hadn't run out or anything. I think that each time I switch it on at a start of a walk I'll have to go in the setting and check that record tracklog is set to on since it seems to keeps switching itself to off. I sorted all the pics from the walk, but didn't process any of the panos or ones that needed exposure merging. I had a headache so I went to bed for the rest of the afternoon.

In the evening after dinner I checked my spleenmail and had received a reply from evohosting finally admitting that the server wasn't configured properly for using prepared statements with mysqli (they actually said that mysqli wasn't installed, but I don't know how that can be since I can connect to, write to, and delete from the database using mysqli, just can't bind parameters, and also phpinfo() shows mysqli extension as being installed). They said I could either have my site moved to another server next week, or wait until 22nd October when they are doing some work on the server my site is currently on, and then they'll fix it then. Since there's no urgency and by next week it'll be much nearer the 22nd anyway I said I'd wait until the 22nd. I also asked them to turn off magic_quotes_gpc on my virtual host when they do the work.

I checked PDO is working correctly before I replied to them, in case that needed enabling as well, but that seems to work okay. So now I have just over a week with no set work. I was planning on working on my websites over 'winter' (i.e. now until spring) unless the weather was good and then I might go out. I don't want to do any more work on my site until I can test it on the server otherwise I may end up writing a load of useless code that doesn't work on the server, or make a mistake somewhere that becomes hard to find because I've written so much code without testing it. Of course I do test my code regularly on my PC, but my Apache isn't setup the same way as the server and I'm on windows (case insensitive) compared to Linux (case sensitive) on the server.

I got my first sale today on Fotolia, which was quick, it was of the medicine bottle and pills. I'm guessing I won't get another sale for quite a while. Maybe during the next week I could try taking some more microstock photos.

I checked hotukdeals, and there was a good freebie offer for free online magazines, they had stuff magazines like 'Tea', 'Elevator World', 'Rap Fanatic', 'Wichita' and 'American Cowboy'. I got 'shutterbug' and 'Layers'. Unfortunately you have to use proprietary software to view the magazine, and you only seem to be able to print out one page at a time (I was hoping I could just print the magazine to PDF as I would prefer the magazine in PDF format than having to use some software or their website that might go out of date/ not be available in the future). Still, can't complain for something that's free.

I got an email from birdforums, and it had a link to a website about going on holiday to Tirol, might be a nice place to visit in the future, and could listen to the 'Wir grüßen dich, Tirol (Greetings to Tyrol)' song there.

Watched another episode of 'Boys from the blackstuff', then went to bed.

Food
Breakfast: Blood orange marmalade toast sandwich; cup o' tea.
After walk snack: Coffee; Dark chocolate digestive; hobnob.
Lunch: Mature cheddar cheese sandwich; banana; white grapes; caramel rocky; cup o' tea.
Dinner: Pepperoni deep pan pizza; peas; chips. Pudding was yoghurt. Coffee.

No comments: