Saturday 5 December 2009

Christmas shopping

This morning I did some Christmas shopping, both online and in real shops. I also played on New Super Mario Bros Wii with Moccle and L a bit.

After lunch I played on New Super Mario Bros Wii with Moccle and L a bit more, then went on the pinternet to try and think of things that I wanted for Christmas. One thing that I would quite like is something that can hold a flash underneath and above the camera, and keep the flashes in the same place when you change the camera orientation. RRS has something called the Camera Rotation Device, which looks like it would do this, but it costs about $800. I was looking for something costing less than $80, but couldn't find anything similar to RRS' CRD.

I also had a look at filter holders for the Nikon 14-24mm/2.8 lens, as it is similar to a fisheye in that it can't accept filters, and I thought maybe a filter holder would be similar to a flash mount ring. I found two sites with examples of filter holders for the Nikon 14-24mm/2.8 lens on an FX (full frame) sensor camera: Cokin X-Pro Filter Rig - Mark II - Nikon 14-24mm and The FX Sponge Filter Holder 5000.

We (me, Moccle, and L) finished watching the Stephen Chow film 'King of Beggars' that we were watching yesterday, then I did a bit more website work. I found that there were a few things broken with the minified CSS. Since when I make any changes to the CSS in the future, it will be to the non-minified CSS, and then I'll minify it to upload it to the website, I didn't want to be stuck correcting the same problems whenever I minify the CSS. So I tried a different CSS minifying service, CSS Drive CSS Compressor instead of csscompressor.com.

csscompressor.com does a better job of compressing CSS because it groups together CSS declarations that are the same, e.g. If I had
p {
font-size: 1.2em;
}
.med{
font-size: 1.2em;
}
csscompressor.com would change this into:
p,.med{font-size:1.2em}
But the problem with this is that csscompressor.com doesn't recognise things like -moz-inline-stack, which it just discards, and so you can end up getting declarations grouped together that shouldn't be, and also have the proprietary declarations removed.

In the evening I uploaded all the files to the website again, and watched 'Brighton Rock' and 'The Fly' with Moccle, both of which were quite good.

I also changed my nginx config to disable gzip for IE 1-6. This is because apparently IE has a bug with caching and gzip, see for example: IE6 gzip bug: solved using ISAPI_Rewrite and HTML pages only partially appear, HTML pages do not appear at all, or the network stops responding.

The weather was sunny in the morning then overcast in the afternoon, and rainy in the evening.

Food
Breakfast: Bowl of crunchy nut cornflakes; cup o' tea.
Lunch: Ham sandwich made with fresh bakery bread; ½ Honey sandwich made with fresh bakery bread; Banana; Chocolate digestive bar; cup o' tea.
Dinner: Small Mozarella Pizza; Peas; Chips; Ground black pepper. Pudding was a small home-made sultana sponge cake with custard.

No comments: