Thursday 17 December 2009

Trying to fix corrupted JPEGs

This morning I did some more work on my photo website (fixing bugs I hadn't noticed before).

In the afternoon I needed to get an image to upload the photo website that wouldn't have latin category names, and wouldn't be in a category that already existed on the website. Looking through my photo folder to try and find something suitable, I found quite a few corrupt JPEGs.

So I spent quite a bit of the afternoon looking for programs to fix corrupt JPEGs and trying them out. Most of them didn't work at all, the best program I found was Paint Shop Pro 6, which could open a couple of the images, but the images were useless - just a load of green colour. So it seems those images are lost (obviously the same images on the backups are corrupted as well).

What you would need really is some sort of program that can scan a drive for corrupted files. Then what you could do is to run the program before you backup, and if you find any corrupted files, restore the working files from the backup before you go ahead and do the backup (which would otherwise write the corrupted files over the good files on the backup, what must have happened in my case).

In the evening I watched 'Mother' with Moccle and L.

The weather was sunny to start, then occasional snow showers. The snow did a settle a bit, but then the sun came out for a bit and melted it.

Food
Breakfast: Strawberry Jam Toast Sandwich; Cup o' Tea.
Lunch: Mature Cheddar Cheese Sandwich; 2x Clementines; Cup o' Tea.
Dinner: Slice of Pepperoni Pizza; Slice of Spinach Pizza; Chips; Salt; Ground Black Pepper. Pudding was a Yoghurt, Dark Chocolate Digestive, and a Shortbread Finger. Coffee; 3x pieces of Sainsbury's Truffle Chocolate; 1x piece of Sainsbury's Mint Creme Chocolate.

No comments: