Sunday 6 December 2009

Uploading photos to website

This morning I updated the files on the web server for my photo website, and while they were uploading I read the Luminous Landscape (p)review of the Leica S2.

After church I started uploading photos to my photo website and finished reading the Luminous Landscape (p)review of the Leica S2.

After dinner I carried on uploading photos to my photo website and reading various photo websites while waiting for each image to upload (which took quite a while since I am uploading the full size JPEGs saved at maximum quality). After a while I realised there was a couple of problems - the images I was uploading had been set to Rights Managed Licensing, when actually I couldn't license them because I didn't have model releases. And secondly, I was inserting paragraphs into the post processing info before it went into the database, which I didn't want to do because the nl2para function I'm using seems a bit flaky (so better to use it at page render time where any updates to it will reflect in future page views).

After fixing that, I carried on uploading photos. I had one photo where after uploading it I got a blank page (well actually an xml parsing error, but it looked like it was due to a blank page). I tried googling to see if I could find out what the problem was, and found a couple of articles that suggest it might be a problem with PHP Memory settings: Blank page on large image upload and GD, php memory limit, blank page, undeletable item. However, both of those pages (and other pages I read) are to do with the GD PHP extension, but I'm using the Imagick extension.

Refreshing the page where I had the problem (so the information was sent to the server again) made the image upload successfully (and it didn't appear twice on the website). I didn't have any trouble with any of the other uploads except one where the internet disconnected partway through an upload (which got me the same blank page error).

I played on New Super Mario Bros Wii with Moccle and L quite a bit in the afternoon as well.

In the evening I played on New Super Mario Bros Wii with Moccle and L a bit more, and also watched the original Stargate film on blu-ray with them.

After that I was reading about how badly coded Wordpress is and how you really should use a caching pplugin with it. I already have the db-cache reloaded plugin installed (and use APC for PHP opcode caching). Because lots of people recommended wp-super cache or just wp-cache, I had a look at them and tried to find out if wp-super-cache works with db cache reloaded.

I found a few people asking about this with no answers, and a few people who said they did work together, and no people who said they didn't work together. But then I remembered that I wanted to use the Amazon Machine tags plugin with the geo plugin so it will serve Amazon ads based on the user's location. But I didn't see how this could work if you're using a caching plugin that generates static pages - the page would be cached with the ad set to the location of wherever the user who loaded the page first was located.

I did a search to see if this was a problem and if there was any way to get around it, but just found one post that didn't seem to mention it at all - I guess they weren't serving amazon ads based on the user's location. So I think for now I will stick to db cache reloaded.

The weather was rainy first thing in the morning, then it cleared up and was sunny most of the day. There was a bit of a sunset, but most of the time the sun was hidden behind clouds.

Food
Breakfast: Bowl of maple & pecan oat crunch cereal; cup o' tea.
Dinner: Chilli con carne; Rice; Grated mature cheddar cheese; Tortilla chips with cheese. Pudding was a Sainsbury's vanilla & jam mini roll
thingy with custard. Cup o' tea.
Tea: ½ edam cheese sandwich; ½ ham sandwich; scone with utterly butterly, raspberry jam, and whipped cream; clementine; cup o' tea.
Supper: Home-made double choc chip cookie; cup o' tea.

No comments: