Monday 14 December 2009

Cleaning out my PC

This morning I was doing some work on my website, trying to make some changes as suggested by some TWS users.

In the afternoon I took my PC apart and started cleaning off the thermal compound from the CPU and CPU fan.

When I made the PC, I had followed the instructions with the Thermal Compound, which had said to put a thin film spread over the processor/fan bottom. So I had tried to do this, but the Thermal Compound was so rubbish at spreading, that to get an even layer spread over the bottom of the fan (where it attaches to the CPU), I had put on quite a bit more Thermal Compound than was needed (though of course I didn't realise it at the time).

So my CPU currently had all Thermal Compound squidged out the sides between the top of the CPU and where it attached to the fan.

After dinner I finished cleaning up the Thermal Compound from the CPU and CPU Fan, using Floppy disk cleaning fluid (Isopropyl Alcohol) and tissues. It took quite a long time. When that was done I put some Thermal Compund on the CPU again, but only a couple of lines (I asked Moccle how much to put on since he makes PCs for his job).

I was glad that when I started the PC up again, it did actually work, since due to the state of the Thermal Compound being squidged out all on the top of the CPU, I had had to take it out of the Motherboard and hold it for quite a while while trying to clean all the Thermal Compound off from it.

Also in the evening I watched a couple of episodes of Uylsses with L, and did some more website work.

Food
Breakfast: Bowl of Choco Moons Cereal; Cup o' Tea.
Lunch: 2x Cheese-on-toasts; Italian Style Salad; Cherry Tomatoes; Apple; Rocky; Cup o' Tea.
Dinner: Mashed Potato; Slice of Ham Quiche; Peas. Pudding was a large German Ginger Biscuit. Coffee; 2x pieces of Sainsbury's Truffle Chocolate; 3x pieces of Sainsbury's Mint Creme Chocolate.
Supper: Home-made Double Chocolate Chip Cookie; Cup o' Tea.

No comments: