Tuesday 8 December 2009

This blog unlocked!!!

This morning I was testing my photo website in different browsers. One problem I came across was that text in <code> blocks was being rendered quite differently across browsers.

At first I came across this article: Firefox Code font too small?, which contains a fix, but involves changing a setting in the browser, so it's not something you can do from the website end.

Then I read Some new CSS features in Firefox 3, which has an example of how you can use the font-size-adjust property in Firefox to equalize the size of text inside a <code> block. It worked well to get the <code> text to display about the same size (and not tiny) in Firefox, K-Meleon, IE6-7, Konqueror, Arora, and Opera, but the text was still tiny in Conkeror, Safari 4 and Chrome 3.

Then I read this article How to Size Text in CSS, which says the problem is with monospaced fonts, and suggests sizing text in px for browsers other than IE to alleviate the problem. The article does say that in the latest version of Safari (at the time the article was written, back in November 2007), doesn't have the problem with sizing monospaced fonts, but clearly the current version (and Chrome) do, so I can only assume that they backtracked on whatever change they had made to 'fix' it.

I checked if blogger had unlocked my account yet, and finally, they had! I noticed that my last post I made on the day the blog was locked, only half of it had been saved. I think that my blog must have been locked while I was partway through writing it, and so only saved the bit that I'd written before it got locked. Annoying that the autosave function built into Blogger didn't indicate there was anything wrong though.

Now I had access to my blog I thought I had better back it up, as I didn't want to risk loosing all my blog posts that I've written so far. Luckily, it turns out that backing up your blog is quite simple.

I wrote this blog post so far, then after lunch I carried on going through the local copy of my photo website and trying to fix a couple of things I noticed. I also spent quite a bit of time trying to access the APC stats page for my websites, but it worked once, and then would just time out whenever I tried to access it.

Trying to see if anyone else had this problem, I didn't find anything, but did read that APC doesn't share the cache between PHP processes if you're using fastCGI (like me), and apparently X-Cache does. So I added changing from APC to X-Cache to my list of things to do.

In the evening I updated the copy of the website on the web server, then went through that on all the different browsers again, just to make sure there weren't any problems that weren't on the local copy of the website.

I played on New Super Mario Bros Wii with Moccle and L for a bit, then was going to post a link to my photo website on the WebSqueeze to get some feedback, but decided that there were some pretty obvious things that needed work, so I should change those first before asking for feedback. Then I'll be more likely to get feedback on things I've missed instead of problems I already know about.

I added a favicon for the site, which I created in Illustrator, then after unsucessfully trying to use the icobundle command line program (I think maybe it doesn't work in Windows), I found a website that can convert images into .ico files suitable for favicons.

And I changed the way my image thumbnails were being displayed as with my current method they were getting messed up if you change the font-size. I used the method suggested at: Centering (horizontally and vertically) an image in a box.

The weather was sunny to start, but by about 11.30am had clouded over and was overcast. The rest of the day was overcast, and in the evening it rained.

Food
Breakfast: Strawberry Conserve Toast Sandwich; Cup o' Tea.
Lunch: Bowl of vegetable & chicken flavour fake cup a soup; slice of toast; a cherry plum tomato; Clementine; Home-made choc chip cookie; cup o' tea.
Dinner: Spaghetti Bolognese; Tomato Ketchup; Ground Black Pepper; Italian Grated Hard Cheese (Parmesan style). Pudding was Tinned Mandarin Segments with Coffe Custard and a couple of home-made Double Chocolate Chip Cookies. Coffee.
Supper: Home-made Double Chocolate Chip Cookie; Cup o' Tea.

No comments: