Saturday 26 December 2009

Consolidating Pog Folders

This morning I installed some Windows Updates, then did some work on another pano (just a partial pano this time). I also read about problems with paypal and Google Checkout.

In the afternoon I moved some of my Pogs around so they used up less folders. I also used up some of my new Pog (Slide) Pockets that I got for Christmas, and so managed to fit in some large pockets that I couldn't fit in the folders before.

When I'd done that I had a spare shelf, so I put my National Trust magazines on there (previously they were on the floor). But to do this I had to find some of the cardboard magazine holder things, so I spent a while looking for them in my bedroom first, and then in the garage (where I did find them eventually).

In the evening I was trying to edit my Music database so I could add some new CDs to it that I got for my birthday and Christmas. The database was a .accdb file, which I think was created by Microsoft Access 2007, but since I'd reformatted Vista, I didn't have MS Access installed. I'm pretty sure I don't actually have a copy of Office 2007 (so I'm not sure how I had Access installed before), so I tried to find a way of editing the database without MS Access.

The first thing I tried was MDB Viewer Plus, however, at first it just gave an error when I tried to open the .accdb file. It could open a .mdb file okay though. After installing the 2007 Office System Driver: Data Connectivity Components, I could then open .accdb files in MDB Viewer Plus.

I had trouble editing the table in MDB Viewer Plus, so I thought I'd see if I could open the database in Open Office. I didn't have Open Office installed, so I installed it. After installing it, I found that Open Office Base could connect to the Access .accdb database and read data from it, but it wouldn't let you edit or add any records.

Then I found the Tutorial Open Office Base (database) Tutorials - Importing data, so I followed that (using MDB Viewer Plus to export the tables from the Access .accdb database to XLS format), and got my tables imported into OpenOffice Base. I created a View that displayed the Table in the same way as Access did (i.e. Columns referencing the ids of values stored in a different table display the value from the referenced table instead of the id), but then found that I couldn't add records through the View.

So I'm not sure what to do now, as I don't really want to be adding records where I have to manually look up the id for the value in a different table that I want to reference.

The weather today was a mixture of sun and cloud. There was a visible sunset, which was quite nice with the sun shining through some thin cloud about half an hour before the sun actually set, then the cloud dissipated, and I didn't think the actual sunset was that pretty.

Food
Breakfast: Bowl of Choco Moons; Cup o' Tea.
Lunch: Mature Cheddar Cheese with Watercress Sandwich made with Bakery Bread; Crust of Bakery Bread with Honey; A few Red Grapes; Clementine; Cup o' Tea.
Tea: 2x Duck Spring Rolls; Piece of Sausage Roll; 2x Cheese Straws; Tortilla Chips with melted cheese and Spicy dip stuff; Mince Pie; White Wine.

No comments: