Saturday 12 December 2009

Installing updates and cutting out pogs

This morning when I switched on windows, it said it wanted to look for solutions to some problems. So I said 'OK', and it then had 512 (or some similar amount) of errors it reported to MS. When it was finished it brought up a screen with a list of possible solutions.

Because installing the suggested updates might have meant a system restart, I couldn't just install the first solution suggested, as when the system had restarted the screen of solutions wouldn't appear again, and so I wouldn't know what the other solutions were. So I had to click on each solution and read the instructions/download the appropriate update without installing it.

When I'd got all the necessary updates downloaded (for some reason MS pointed me to Nvidia FX graphics drivers when I don't have an FX card, so I manually navigated to the correct Nvidia drivers for my graphics card), I could now install them.

I started by doing a normal Windows Update, which required a restart. Then the Nvidia Graphics card drivers, which also required a restart. Next was a MS .NET framework update - this wouldn't install as it said I didn't have the required version of the .NET framework installed. So I don't know why MS wanted me to install it if it won't install.

Then I had to update Flash, the instructions from MS said that I needed to uninstall Flash then install it again. I thought this was a bit strange, as normally you just update your existing installation with most programs (or at least the installer will uninstall your current version automatically before installing the latest version).

So I did some googling to check that MS's advice was correct, and it seems that it is correct. I found this article that gives a good guide on how to upgrade flash: Time to update the Flash player. Here's how. After uninstalling Flash I had to restart again, and then I ran the Secunia online scanner recommended in the article about how to upgrade Flash.

The scanner didn't find any Flash remnants on my system, but did say I needed to upgrade real player, Adobe Reader, and about 4-6 versions of Java. After about 40 minutes it seemed the online scanner had crashed (it was stuck on one file for about 20 minutes or more). So I closed the scanner and upgraded Real Player and Adobe Reader.

When it came to Java, I did some googling, but didn't find much helpful. The answers I read said that you can uninstall older versions of Java through Add/Remove programs, but didn't give any indication of how you tell what versions of Java are the old ones and which one is the new name (the Java entries in Add/Remove programs had a few different names and version numbers, and none of them related to the naming format of the latest Java version according to the Java website.

So I just tried to uninstall all of them, then I would start anew. I followed the uninstall instructions at How do I uninstall Java on my Windows computer ?. Some of the java entries wouldn't uninstall from add/remove programs, so I used the Windows Installer Clean up Utility as suggested in the article to remove them.

I restarted my PC, and ran the Secunia online scanner again, and it still found that I had old versions of java installed. So I just removed the folders it said where the old java versions were installed (Windows Explorer wouldn't let me delete them so I had to use the command line to get rid of them).

I restarted my PC yet again and ran the Secunia online scanner again, and it now reported that it didn't find any insecure programs installed. Yay!

The rest of the day I was cutting out pogs in photoshop (and trying to look up the names of Power Rangers monsters so I give the images SEO friendly filenames). I also watched a couple of episodes of Uylesees with L, and 'White Heat' (which I'd actually already seen before) with Moccle.

The weather was a mixture of clouds and sun all day and there was a decent sunset.

Food
Breakfast: Bowl of choco moons cereal; cup o' tea.
Lunch: Mustard ham with Italian style salad sandwich; clementine; slice of cheapo sultana cake; Rocky; cup o' tea.
Dinner: 2x posh sausages; mashed potato; 2x mushrooms; baked beans. Pudding was fresh pineapple with butterscotch whip. Coffee; 2x pieces of Sainsbury's Truffle Chocolate; piece of Sainsbury's mint creme chocolate.
Supper: Shortbread finger; home-made double choc chip cookie; cup o' tea.

No comments: