Thursday 1 April 2010

Grandad's funeral

This morning I got up about 7.30am. After having a shower etc. and breakfast I went on my PC for a bit and checked my email, then we all left for Grandad's funeral in Surrey.

Mauser wearing his suit looked quite like Shia LaBeouf, me and L thought.

Going down to Surrey wasn't too bad, the traffic slowed a bit at one point, but there weren't any jams. We went to Uncle Mike and Aunty Nicky's house. My cousin Andrew and his fiancée Holly were there already, so it was nice to meet them, and Andrew looked the same as I remembered him (We hadn't seen our cousins for about 12 years).

Nicky's sister was also there, but I didn't know who she was. Clare called her 'Jo', so I was a bit confused since she didn't look like my cousin Joanne at all, and looked like she was in her 50's. It turned out that Clare had thought she was Joanne somehow. Anyway, the real Joanne turned up after not too long.

After a bit we walked over to the crematorium, which wasn't too far away. There were a few other people there - Nicky's sister's sons and husband, the owner of the Butcher's where Grandad used to work, and Grandad's long-time neighbours. Brian did the service, then we all stood around in the cold wind outside for a while. Luckily it wasn't raining, and the sun was out a bit.

We went back to Mike and Nicky's, and had some food, then left probably about 2pm (maybe a bit later). On the way back home though, it seemed that most of the motorway was queued up. Occasionally the queue would clear, but then you'd soon run into another queue. It took us about 2hrs of driving time to get down to Surrey, but about 4hrs of driving time to get back home.

We also stopped off at a service station, Asda to buy some easter eggs, and a fish & chip shop on the way back home. Unfortunately the Asda we visited in Northampton didn't have much of a selection of £1 Easter Eggs - just Cream Eggs and Smarties. They did have Piñatas for £4 though, which L would have loved (since he's been playing on Viva Piñata almost continuously the last week or so), but he said they were too expensive (I think they were actually 50% off, and sold for £8 normally).

We got back home probably about 7pm.

After dinner I watched an episode of Star Trek with Mauser and L, then I went to bed as I was really sleepy.

Food
Breakfast: Tangerine Marmalade Toast Sandwich; Cup o' Tea.
Lunch: ¼ Egg Sandwich; ¼ Ham Sandwich; ¼ Cheese Sandwich; Cup o' Tea.
Dinner: Fish & Chip Shop Fish & Chips; Salt; Vinegar. Pudding was Asda Rocky Road Ice Cream. Cup o' Tea; Cream Egg.

No comments: