Saturday 24 April 2010

Photo uploading

Today I was just updating my photo website. I uploaded some more photos to it, and while I was waiting for the photos to upload I checked through all the keywords listed on the website's database. When I found an incorrect one (like a mis-spelling, or two keywords where I'd missed the semi-colon between them so they'd become one keyword), I corrected the database and the images on my hard drive.

I also checked through a few of the photos on my hard drive before uploading them to the website, and processed a couple that I hadn't finished yet. To process the photos I needed to use Capture NX 2 (at least that's what the photo was originally processed with, so I thought I'd need Capture NX 2 to be able to open it again). But my trial of Capture NX 2 had run out.

I did try to buy an upgrade a few days ago before the trial period had ended, but the website I used was dodgy and I wasn't sure if they had taken any money from my credit card. Since the situation was now urgent I tried to log on to my credit card provider's website. This took about half an hour (maybe more) as you have to go through a long security process, and then I found that the account I'd logged on to was an old one for a cancelled card, so I had to do it all over again for my current credit card.

Anyway, I was pleased to see that the money hadn't been taken from my card, so I could but Capture NX 2 from a different place. However, I did see a transaction on my online statement from 'asknet-shops.com'. I had no idea who this was, so I googled for them and found reports from many people saying that they had unauthorised transactions on their cards from asknet-shops.com.

I checked asknet-shops.com, and on their FAQ, they have a question There is an unknown charge/ double charge on my credit card from asknet, but I have not placed an order/ placed only one order, which has the answer
The company asknet is a service provider which is responsible for the online purchasing process for several software producers. You may therefore find "asknet shops" listed on your credit card bill, even though you have purchased software in a store with a different name. Therefore, we would like to ask you to check whether you have recently ordered software.
I remembered that I had purchased a renewal of the 'upgrade protection' policy for PerfectDisk recently, and the amount on the statement looked about right. So I checked through my emails to find the receipt from PerfectDisk, which indeed says
The following position will appear on one of your next credit card billing statement:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
asknet-shops.com Amount GBP 7.82
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So that settled that.

Next I looked for retailers of Capture NX 2. Unfortunately it seemed to be really expensive from reliable shops, and also out of stock at most places. In the end I ordered an upgrade copy from Warehouse Express for £85 (which is on backorder). I got a serial from Pirate Bay so I can continue to use Capture NX 2 (albeit illegally) while I wait for Warehouse Express to get new stock in and ship it out to me.

I also finished watching 'Greed' with Mauser today. It was a great film, but would have been even better with the full footage (which was lost) instead of the footage mixed with stills. I didn't care much for the colouring either.

The weather today was sunny all day, but with a complete cover of hazy cloud (so the sky was white, not blue).

Food
Breakfast: Bowl of Strawberry Crisp Oat Cereal; Cup o' Tea.
Elevenses: Cappuchino; HobNob; Chocolate Fudge Crinckle Cream.
Lunch: Ham with Dijon Mustard and Salad Sandwich; Satsuma; Slice of Chocolate Cake with Golden Syrup and Vanilla flavour Buttercream; Cup o' Tea.
Dinner: Beef Burger; Baked Beans; Chips; Salt; Ground Black Pepper. Pudding was a piece of Chocolate Cake that L made today with Custard. Coffee; 8 squares of Galaxy; 2 smarties.

No comments: