Wednesday 28 April 2010

Photo uploading

This morning I went in the garden and took a few photos of a butterfly that had decided to spend the night on a daffodil. After a bit it had warmed up, and flew away.

I came back inside and checked my email while a virus scan ran. I had been hoping to go and take some panos of the park today, but the weather was quite overcast, so I decided it wasn't worth the trouble. Hopefully we'll get a nice sunny day soon, otherwise all the blossom will be gone and I'll have missed it.

Actually, it's been quite windy lately, so the blossom may all have been blown away already.

When the virus check was done I did a backup, then looked into different backup software. I had found that Beyond Compare wasn't very good for backing up various folders on different drives to one backup disk - you would have to do a seperate backup for each drive you wanted to backup folders from, selecting the folders on that drive you wanted to backup, and then tell Beyond Compare to do a Mirror sync with only the folders you've selected.

With Synkron, all you need to do is to load the backup 'profile' of the stuff you want backing up, then tell it to sync all.

I looked at Macrium Reflect, but that only does complete hard drive and partitioning mirroring, not multiple folder backup, which is what I want.

I also looked at FBackup 4, but I couldn't see how it compared files to see whether they needed backing up not. What I'm looking for is backup software that uses a binary comparison or CRC checksum comparison to decide what files need backing up. This should hopefully indicate any files that have changed due to becoming corrupted.

I gave up on the backup programs and started adding metadata to the panos that I processed / finished processing yesterday. After lunch I carried on with this. I also checked my email, digitalphotographyblog.com, and bythom.com while I waiting for metadata to copy across to the psd files, as this takes quite a bit of time. (All the EXIF is lost when creating a panorama using PTGUI, I use exiftoolGUI to copy the EXIF back from into the panorama from one of the original images).

After dinner I watched Star Trek TNG with Mauser and L, then carried on updating my panos website with the old Welland Park panos I'd been working on.

The weather was overcast most of the day and it rained a bit.

Food
Breakfast: Bowl of Chocolate Crunch Oat Cereal; Cup o' Tea.
Lunch: Grated Mature Cheddar Cheese with Salad Sandwich; Baby Plum Tomato; Banana; Piece of Tiramisu; Cup o' Tea.
Dinner: Slice of home-made Pizza; ¾ Jacket Potato; Watercress. Pudding was a slice of Jam Swiss Roll with Ribena, Custard, and Smarties. Cup o' Tea; A few bits of Galaxy Chocolate.

No comments: