Sunday 4 April 2010

My websites going down (again)

This morning I cut out some pogs in Photoshop, then went to Church. After Church I carried on cutting out pogs in Photoshop, then it was dinner time.

After dinner I watched part of a film Noir with Mauser and L. Mauser and L went out on a walk partway through the film, so I finished cutting out the Pogs in photoshop.

I went to update my pog website, but found it wasn't loading. Logging into the server I found that all my processes, including PHP were running. I restarted PHP, but still got a 502 error. In the morning I had commented out the Xcache stuff in the php.ini file in case it was xcache that was causing problems with the PHP memory size getting too large, so I now uncommented these lines to put PHP back to its previous working configuration, and then restarted it again.

But PHP still wasn't working. The PHP processes (parent and child) were alive and well, just it seemed that it wasn't responding to any requests Nginx was sending to it.

I restarted PHP again, but still the same. Luckily I still had an older PHP installation and spawn-fcgi with an init script that I hadn't deleted, so I changed the Nginx config for one of my sites so that it would use the socket for PHP that the older PHP installation was set to use.

I stopped the current PHP processes, and killed supervisord (which I was using to control PHP), and then started my old PHP installation using the spawn-fcgi PHP init script. I restarted Nginx, and tested my site, and it was now working. So I changed all my other sites to use the older PHP installation as well.

What I don't understand is how come my new PHP installation was working okay, and then suddenly stopped working, and refused to work again even after restarting it?

Mauser and L had come back from their walk by now, so now my websites were working okay again, we finished watching the film.

When the film had finished I updated my pog website.

In the evening I did a bit more work on my pog website, checked a bit of my photo website blog posts I made yesterday, and watched a couple of cartoons with Mauser and L. Unfortunately the internet seemed to be broken quite a bit (though it had occasional periods where it would work), so I didn't get much done in the way of checking my photo website blog posts.

The weather was mostly cloudy, with a bit of sun occasionally.

Food
Breakfast: Bowl of Asda Honey Loops Cereal; Cup o' Tea.
Dinner: Chilli con Carne; Rice; Flavoured Tortilla Chips; Grated Mature Cheddar Cheese; Mixed Veg. Pudding was a Muller Fruit Corner and a Home-made Chocolate Pretzel. Coffee; Packet of Cadbury's Mini Eggs.
Tea: Mature Cheddar Cheese with Salad Sandwich made with Bakery Bread; Banana; Slice of Sultana Flapjack; Cup o' Tea.

No comments: