Friday 30 April 2010

Still backuping and pano uploading

This morning I went out in the garden to see there were any insects around. I saw some thrips on the window sills, and some flies on one of the plants, but didn't see any other insects. The pond was getting low despite the rain we had yesterday, so I topped it up.

I came back inside and went on my comp. Syncback had completed it's CRC checksum comparison of a folder on my PC and a folder on the backup disk, but it said there were 97 files or 17% that it couldn't calculate a checksum for. I'm not sure what the 17% meant - did it mean that 17% of the backup consisted of files that it couldn't verify? If it can't calculate checksums for large files, I guess this could be true, though 97 files being 17% of the backup does seem a bit massive.

Anyway, of the files it could checksum, it didn't find any difference other than the new files I've added to the folder on the PC that haven't been backed up.

I looked at Beyond Compare again, and found there was an option for binary compare that I hadn't ticked - so it doesn't use binary comparison by default. I ticked binary comparison, then opened the folder compare, and guess what - it was really slow just like the other programs when using binary or checksum comparison.

So I think probably the best idea is to do normal backups, and then just do a binary comparison every so often (maybe even just once a year) to check that files haven't been corrupted. I think that my photos that have been corrupted got corrupted when copying the files from one drive to a new (larger) drive (I used windows to copy the files normally instead of a backup/cloning software). So it would make sense to do a binary comparison after copying files like this as well.

Also, after I'd had my shower I cleaned out my ears of shower water mixed with a bit of earwax, like I always do, and somehow my hearing in my right ear was restored. (Since coming back from holiday in October last year, I haven't been able to hear properly in my right ear). It's quite weird, everything sounds really loud and somehow different (maybe because I can hear in stereo now).

I read a bit more of John Shaw's Close-ups in Nature, then went in the garden to try and get some photos. I got a few of a leaf hopper (or something similar), but spent most of my time trying to find it in the view finder without success, checking where it was with my eyes (since it would move about), then repeating this process.

I came back inside and went on the pinternet for a bit, then Beyond Compare had finished its compare. So it took about 5 hours, which is quite a bit quicker than Syncback, which took about 9 hours for its CRC checksum comparison.

After lunch I looked at the Beyond Compare binary comparison results. In the actual compare it didn't look like there were any differences that weren't due to the backup just not being up to date. But in the log, it said that it couldn't compare some files due to access being denied (which is not an error that came up when doing the normal (non binary) compare).

Looking at the files, I found they had the wrong permissions/owner. Unfortunately, setting the owner on the folder that contained the files, and telling Windows to apply the changes to all subfolders and files didn't work - Windows didn't do anything. I also found that if you select multiple files, then the Security tab in the file propeties dialog is missing, so you couldn't change the owner of the files that way either.

Instead you would have to go through each file changing the owner, and then allowing full permissions for the users or groups you wanted to be able to access that file. You have to go through quite a few dialogs for each of those steps, and then repeating that process for multiple files would be very time consuming and annoying indeed.

I did change the owner and permissions on one file, just to see if the file was okay, and it was just the permissions that were trashed. After doing this, it did seem it was just the permissions that were broken. I checked the same folder on the backup, and thankfully they were okay. So I tried copying the backup files over the broken files. But both Beyond Compare and Windows Explorer wouldn't let me do this as I didn't have permission to overwrite the broken files.

So I went into a command prompt and deleted the folder from there
rmdir "directory name" /s
That deleted the directory without any permissions problem. Then I used Beyond Compare to copy the backup of the directory back.

I had two directories with this problem. I then backed up the folders that needed backing up.

I started checking / fixing / converting more panos for my panos website, and did that until dinner.

After dinner I watched an episode of Star Trek, then looked to see how I could get my panos to display the cube faces as they are loaded. I found an option called 'loaderStreamed' which does this, it worked fine on my local copy of the site, but was really slow when using it on the live site. So I asked on the FPP website if anyone knew of how to get your pano to display as it is loaded.

The weather was mostly overcast and it rained quite a bit. Occasionally the sun would break through the clouds for a bit.

Food
Breakfast: Bowl of Chocolate Crunch Oat Cereal; Cup o' Tea.
Lunch: Ham with Watercress and Mediterranean style Salad Sandwich made with fresh Bakery Bread; ½ Crust of fresh Bakery Bread with Honey; Grapes; Satsuma; Piece of Tiramisu; Cup o' Tea.
Dinner: Slice of home-made Pizza; ½ Jacket Potato; Chips; Peas. Pudding was an Aero Mousse with a couple of slices of Kiwi fruit. Coffee; Bit of Easter Egg.

No comments: