Saturday 12 May 2007

2 days in 1 Magyar Posta

Kept waking up and it was light but I couldnae be bovvered to get up so I jut rolled over & went to sleep again. After doing this quite a few times I thought I had better get up, but then my alarm went off and it was only 7am! So I got up, had a shower etc. and then ate breakfast with Ben. We sat in the back room to eat breakfast and saw quite a few birds - greenfinches, blue tits and (great or grey?) tits. So that was skill.

Watched TV - Big Cook, little cook and Harry & his bucketfull of dinosaurs.

When I was putting my new computer together the other day I put the CPU fan on the wrong way round so I had to take it off again, and messed about with thermal paste for a christmas pageant trying first to get an evenly spread smooth surface on top of the processor and then after giving up on that trying to spread it on the fan heatsink thingymibob. The thermal paste was like the annoying margarine that doesn't stick to your bread and sticks to the knife instead. Eventual-cheese I Premier manager 97'd to get a covering of thermal paste over the CPU fan bottom bit and then installed the fan, except one of the fan leg bits won't stick to the motherboard, so it's only being held in place by 3 legs. This is either a problem with the fan or the motherboard. At the moment I'm not particularly impressed with either of them.

I booted up my PC and loaded the BIOS. I checked the CPU temperature, and it was about 46°C I made some changes in the BIOS, to set it to RAID and allow 4gb RAM. I checked on Dad's PC to make a boot disc with the latest BIOS, but a floppy disc isn't big enough to be an MS-DOS boot disc and have the BIOS on it, so it's a bit stupid that the manual suggests that as a way to update the BIOS. So I just copied the BIOS onto a disc, and then in the BIOS updated to the BIOS, which meant I had to make the changes about RAM and RAID again. After this Windows started up, which I was quite surprised about, but of course I installed it before so it should work.

Then I installed some cheese. Downloaded the latest version of Azureus which comes with an interface to let you download HD trailers and stuff. Started downloading the 720p version of lost s03e20, hopefully it will-a-dill work on this PC, as my old PC was too sloooow.

Ate lunch.

After lunch me and dad took apart my old comp and his comp so that he could use my old comp except is his case and with his hard drives. It was quite a bit of work and after all that the mouse & keyboard wouldn't work in Windows (& it wouldn't boot into safe mode or any other mode) so we couldn't login to install the new motherboard drivers. Dad didn't want to do a repair on windows since it would mean he'd have to re-install all his programs, so we just took the PCs apart again and put them back how they were before. I fullstop cleaned my old PC though and got dust all over Ben's floor. Gokos one, should write that.

Erm yeah and stuff. Oh yeah, I checked that the built sound on my new pc works and it does (at least the headphone socket on the front panel does, The miguel phone did nae seem to work lad.

Ate dinner.

Installed my Audigy 2 soundcard and the drivers. It worked although I had to mess around for a bit cos I kept forgetting stuff like to plug the power into the card. I also tried to install my FireWire 800 card, but the motherboard has capacitors after all the PCI slots so that you can't fit log cards (like my firewire card) in. I wish they would just make bigger motherboards with more space so they're easier to use and I could just get a bigger case.

Then the wifi stopped working, so I tried a million different things over a million years to try and get it to work. Luck=slushily the millionth thing I tried in the millionth year worked (Uninstalling the drivers, restarting and then installing again).

Then I didn't really do ote, although I tidied Ben's room up a bit and did the washing up. Next I will vaccum the mess I made and then when Ben goes to Bed I will pobasquish move the PC into my room.

Food
Breakfast: Cookie Crisp, cup o' tea.
Mid morning snack: Hot chocolate, nice cream, malted milk.
11 o'clock snack: Crusty Croc Crispy Chips Smokey Bacon flavoured crisps, coffee.
Lunch: Ham sandwich, Cheddar cheese with iceberg lettuce sandwich, satsuma, small slice of bakewell tart, tesco value chocolate covered digestive bar, cup o' tea.
Dinner: 2 x Sausages, baked beans, mashed potato. Pudding was a Apple & Blackberry Mr Kipling pie & a cherry Mr Kipling Pie, both together with custardio.

Friday

It was nice & sunny in the morning so I cycled to work. I stopped to take some photos of some flowers and Lambert said I would be late for work. The pictures came out pretty raddish because my FZ5's flash couldn't cover the whole of the flower when doing a close-up. Maybe I should take my SB800 to work with me everyday as well.

Got to work about 8.45am and Alan had been waiting outside for a christmas pageant. Did the washing up & made drinks for eveneux. Told Alan what we wanted for the jimmy lad report maybe? I cannae remember jim lad. Spent most of the day answering phones.

I needed to print a prospective member letter for somebody and noticed that the letter was still designed for printing on the old headed papier. So I tried to change it to print on the new headed paper, but it would nae work because if someone had a short address it would move it all up. The merge fields don't work if you put them in a text box or the page header, so I couldn't get round it that way. I tried putting them in a table with a fixed row height, but when you re-open the document it has gone back to auto-height AGGGHHHH!

So I had to stay late to make a crystal report of the prop member letter since crystal doesn't suffer from that problem. But then after loads of work the report wouldn't merge in the database, even though the preview in Crystal worked AGGGHHHH!

Then a jimmy lad jumped in my ear and kept hitting me with a chocolate bar AGGGHHHH!

Then I had to do Newsletter advertising stuff, I managed to send all the enquiries an email but didn't have time to get any packs ready to post since I had only booked overtime till 8pm. After checking all the Non Microsoft windows were shut etc. I left aboot 8.15pm. It was rainy and windy and I got home about 9.00pm since the wind was blowing me home.

Some packages had arrived for me (from CD-wow) so I told Ben to open them. He didn't think the Peter Andre & Katie Price CD was gokos, but obvasquish he thought the Big Cook Little Cook and Lazytown DVDs were skilk 103.2. The bobinogs DVD has nae arrived yet. I changed into some dry clothes and watched NCIS while I ate my dinner. I couldn't do any work on my new PC since Ben was in bed and it's in his room so I went to bed just after 10pm.

Food
Breakfast: Cookie Crisp, banana, cup o' tea
Lunch: Cheddar cheese with iceberg lettuce sandwich, ham with iceberg lettuce sandwich, 2 x satsumas, apple
Dinner: Bit of fish portion & 2 x bits of fish portion with wierd herby stuff in them (not very nice), chips, peas, salt, vinegar, black pepper. Pudding was a slice of bakewell tart. Apple juice.

No comments: